NIEDERZWEHREN CEMETERY CASSEL

BIFFO

Are any GWF visiting this cemetery?

if yes could you take a headstone photo please

of

S.W HARRIS

III.L.13

:thumbsup:

If no one else can help any earlier, I will be passing Niederzwehren during the easter weekend.

Charlie

This is from early October 2017.  Not long after this the heavens opened and I got "trapped" in the shelter building there for a while!

7109-Private-Sydney-William-Harris.jpg.ddd9c590597f670d1fca3446b35e7d36.jpg

I passed by again in September 2018 and found that the tranquility of this area could be about to change as they are building a new business park a few hundred yards to the east.  This is not yet apparent on Google Maps although some of the new roads are.  While this provides more direct access to this location via a new junction on the main road I did find that these new roads - not the last approach to the cemetery, which is narrow and a dead end - were being used for overnight lorry parking.  If the business park expands westwards they would have to build over the site of the POW camps.

If you are ever there don't forget to visit the Russian cemetery next door, which has a completely different atmosphere.

Ian

On 08/04/2019 at 20:07, charlie2 said:

If no one else can help any earlier, I will be passing Niederzwehren during the easter weekend.

Charlie

I'll have a look at my list when I get in. I'm sure I've got some at Niederzwehren that I need. 

thank you very much for your offer "temptage"and Charlie2 :thumbsup:

imaginations photo will suit me fine :D

Edited by BIFFO

On 08/04/2019 at 20:07, charlie2 said:

Charlie

There are 4 at Niederzwehren if you could get them please.

I. G. 4 - Wilby, G

IV. K. 1 - Richardson, F A R

V. K. 3 - Barnard, E

X. E. 17 - Hamilton, G

Niederzwehren, a well known site.

Panorama view (13).jpg

Panorama view (2).jpg

8 hours ago, fritz said:

Niederzwehren, a well known site.

Panorama view (13).jpg

Panorama view (2).jpg

Fritz, I had completely forgotten that you got me several photos previously. How are you keeping? 

19 hours ago, temptage said:

There are 4 at Niederzwehren if you could get them please.

I. G. 4 - Wilby, G

IV. K. 1 - Richardson, F A R

V. K. 3 - Barnard, E

X. E. 17 - Hamilton, G

Will do.

Hello temptage,

yes, I remember. All is well. Happy to feel springtime is coming. Sad to see UK will leave our partnership. 

Best wishes to you

Fritz

• 2 weeks later...

In an earlier post some one asked if GWF is a worthy thing to be in, me for one likes the way one gwf helped out another GWF

as in the above post,says it all really :thumbsup:

Exactly Biffo. What goes around comes around, I find. I have been working on several projects over the last 8 years and have been helped by literally hundreds of people over that time, which is why every time I go over to France and Belgium, I always make the offer to get photos for others. 4 years ago when I went over with my sister, we took nearly 500 photos for other people, of which 230 of those were at St Sever Cemetery and Extention alone. Last year on my own I took nearly 300 for others, and so far, for this years jaunt at the end of May, I already have just over 300 photos to take for others through Find A Grave, and I havent even made the offer to other researchers yet!!!