Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching a Royal Naval Rating of the Great War

pete130356

Hi I'm trying to do a bit of research into a Royal Naval Stoker that died during the great war. I have his Death plaque, War medal and victory medal. I have the envelope that the Death Plaque came in and on the envelope is the number 44755 in pencil. His service number is 295104 which was taken from the medals, but so far I can't find a thing regarding this man. I'm quite new to this , I will be retiring in 2 months time and so I thought I would make a start on my new hobby of researching my first world war collection. I am a member on Ancestry but couldn't find anything there. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Probably a good idea to give you all his name. Its James Clarke.....

Edited by pete130356

Died serving in Hood Battalion of the Royal Naval Division.  Wounded at Gallipoli in the Third Battle of Krithia  on 4 June 1915 and died on board the hospital ship SOMALI. Buried at Malta. He had previously served in the RND at the Defence of Antwerp where he earned the 1914 Star (he was not entitled to the Clasp to the Star). The three medals were issued to his widow, Georgina.

There are two records at Kew for this man:-

His RN record - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6759655 and his RND record card - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7291211

I have not "got" Gallipoli in my head as clearly as I would like, but I think this may be the map for the 4 June attack. Apologies for dodgy photograph!

Krithia.jpg

7 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Died serving in Hood Battalion of the Royal Naval Division.  Wounded at Gallipoli in the Third Battle of Krithia  on 4 June 1915 and died on board the hospital ship SOMALI. Buried at Malta.

You should get more information on the battalion and this action from Len Sellers' book

'The Hood Battalion' published 1995 by Leo Cooper (Pen & Sword) ISBN 0 85053 386 9

Good luck with your new hobby

Michael

Thanks for all of your reply's. From not knowing anything about "my man" a few hours ago, suddenly through you guys, I can see into the past. You really are a knowledgeable bunch. Obviously it seems that when researching individuals it is always best to enter the name into the search engine correctly spelled. Also it seems that I was sold a dud set as the name on the medals are are spelled differently to the plaque. I think that I am correct in saying that the majority of plaques where made at Woolich, not sure what quality control they had, was it possible that plaques found their way to the deceased family's, incorrectly spelled? I have "owned" this set now for a good many years, not sure when or why I bought it, but right now I'm glad that I did because the medals of James Clark are bringing him back to life. Not sure about the Death plaque yet, I will have to look into that James Clarke later. Once again many thanks to you all.

Edited by pete130356

I frequently find official records with names incorrectly spelt when researching my family history, particularly medal records.  The London Gazette had my grandfather's name as Hubert Young instead of Harold Young when recording his DSC award in 1916.  I have the letter from Buckingham Palace before the investiture by KGV, confirming that their records had been corrected.