Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Leslie Ernest Collins 100 Squadron

Perth Digger

I have Collins' army and AIR records and Trevor Henshaw's expanded book, so I am well catered for with information about Collins. It appears he joined 100 Squadron on 13 March 1918 and was killed on take-off on 5 April. What I don't know is how many, if any, missions he flew. Is there a 100 Squadron War Diary? Is there a book on 100 Squadron in WW1? Was there an inquiry into the crash?

His observer was 2nd Lt N. Ford. According to CWGC records his mother had an Australian address in 1918. Does anyone know anything about him?

I am looking for this information in connection with a stained-glass window memorial dedicated to Collins.

Thanks

Mike

Hi

" The Annals of 100 Squadron " by Major C Gordon Burge which is a record of the war activities of the Squadron from  March 1917 to November 1918 does not list him in any of the operations carried out between your 2 dates.

Steve

Hi Mike,

There's no mention of your man in the Cross and Cockade International FE2b/d Monograph, other than the flight he was killed in.  If I get to the National Archives sometime soon I'll have a look for you.

Regards, Trevor

Thanks Steve and Trevor. Don't worry about the NA, thanks, Trevor.

Mike

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:09, hmsk212 said:

Hi

" The Annals of 100 Squadron " by Major C Gordon Burge which is a record of the war activities of the Squadron from  March 1917 to November 1918 does not list him in any of the operations carried out between your 2 dates.

Steve

Id just like to point out that 'The Annals' are not 100% inclusive on  airmans raids.

He was there long enough to participate in a few raids.  Who knows.?

I suppose only a Squadron War Diary or Log might give the information, Nils. There certainly was a major emergency on the Western Front in March and one would expect every pilot available to be used.

MIke