Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie helmet liner/ re-lined

Andy C

Hi. I've seen this come up before but I don't think there was ever a definite answer. I have 2 WW1 brodie helmets but both have liners which are made from hessian and oilskin rather than the usual netting and oilskin. The hessian is double thickness and has rubber padding inside. Both helmets appear to have been re-painted with WW2 era textured khaki paint. Does anyone know what these liners are?

Hello....Could you post some pics, I'd be interested myself. I've seen a few issued to the NFS though with WW2 type liners and not as you describe so pics would be interesting.

Robert

Silly question... but are they definitely WWI MkI helmet shells and not WWII MkII helmet shells?

Hi. It's a fair question but, yes. One has WW1 manufacture markings, there is a big overlap on the rim, there are heat stress marks from the stamping and they have WW1 chin strap bales. Additionally one has a divisional marking painted on under the later coat of paint. 

The lugs say WWI shells.  I would assume the liners are "home Made" adaptations possibly for WWII home front use, possibly Home Guard.

I know about the lugs. I was idly wondering whether they had odd liners and chinstraps because they were some sort of recreation of a MkI using a MkII shell? (Reenactors do it for example) But it would appear not.

• 5 weeks later...

Are there any remains of the original netting under the hessian ?