Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

23rd Brigade royal field artillery

Hunterstar

Hi, we are tyring to find out information on my farther in law Clement William Balchin service number 65211, we know he served with the 23rd brigade royal artillery (18 pounders) in 1914, we are unable to find out if he was in 106, 107 or 108th battery, any help would be much appreciated. 

Many thanks

Jenny 

Welcome to the Forum Jenny,

It appears there is very little to go on. The batteries of 23rd Brigade RFA were actually 107th, 108th and 109th.

I can tell you that he enlisted on May 3, 1911 and served in France from 1914 to 1916 then Mesopotamia in 1917

He re-enlisted for 2 years in Mustapha, Egypt, on March 14, 1919 and was discharged on March 31, 1921.

He was given Army Number 1021912 in August 1920.

This information indicates he left 23rd Brigade RFA at some point as they only served in France.

He married Margaret Winifred Sheppard on April 14, 1915 and a daughter was born on May 19, 1916.

Unfortunately, despite serving to 1921, his service record is not held by the MOD.

Source: Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942 - Findmypast

Hi David

Thank you SO much for the information.

The little i know of my father in law is.

Born Lisa Hants on 11th July 1894

Joined the RFA Corsham  Barracks  May 3rd 1911

August 1911 with  14th Brigade RFA possibly Deep Cut. (Source his brothers small book)

23rd Brigade  RFA mobilised 4th August 1914 at Buford Camp.

C.W Balchin sailed  with 23rd Brigade RFA from Southampton  aboard S.S Minio on 18th August bound for La Harve. (Source postcards home to his mother)

Served in France 1914-1916 some time  promoted to Farrier Sergeant (pos 1915)

Arrived  Egypt September 1917.. Address

C.W.Balchin 65211 Farrier Sergeant

172 Brigade RFA .  E.E Force Egypt

Part of 72 division under Allenby

In action from 3rd Battle of Gazza until

July 18 in Palestine. 

I had know idea he served in Mesopotamia. 

Any info would  be gratefully received

He may have been wounded in 1914  but have no evidence to support this.

Thank you very much. Jenny.

Great, we are getting somewhere.

He joined at Cosham near Portsmouth. His occupation was given as Blacksmith

As he signed on for 3 years with the colours and 9 years in reserve, he would have been called up from the reserves in August 1914.

23rd Brigade RFA were at Bulford Camp. They sailed to France on SS Saturnia and SS Minneapolis, disembarking at Havre on 19th.

172nd Brigade RFA was a newly formed brigade (in England) which arrived in Egypt in early August 1917. It joined 75th Division.

406th (How) battery (also formed in England) joined the brigade on October 12, 1917 but had arrived in Egypt on September 27, 1917.

So 406th Howitzer battery is a possible.

His Findmypast record (as William Clement Balchin) definitely says Mesopotamia but not Egypt (apart from his re-enlistment).

It could be a mistake as 403rd (How) and 404th (How) batteries formed at the same time (June 1917) were sent to Mesopotamia.

Edited by David Porter
Correction

Thank you David, Clement was my grandfather and this information is very useful, I’ve included an attachment of his medal index card if it helps at all.

9E61A57F-5DC1-4476-AB6E-B888D570CB11.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Is there a relationship with Cornelius Millham Balchin [30628] a  Sgt in 108th Bty? I have been through most RFA casualty lists for 1914 and have not seen a record of a C W Balchin being wounded, but C M Balchin was injured in a horsefall at Ypres  in late Dec 1914.

Hi

Will look on our family tree to see if we can find a Cornelius. Our tree goes back to the 1600s

Thank you very much for the other info...wonder if they got the initials wrong. Will reply as soon as I can as we are dealing with a family matter at moment. I won't forget! 

Jenny

Cornelius (m. Beatrice) appears to be son of a James Balchin, father of Richard James B and Leslie Frank B'.... born Shipley Sussex..c.1880. [service number 30638; enlisted 1898 - discharged 1915]

• 2 years later...