Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Small signallers lamp

RonnieBee

Hi, I am interested in communications and would like to find a World War One signallers lamp. I have a Heliograph from 1917 and was told that some of these lights fit on the tripod.Thanks very much ! Regards, Ron

IMG_3019.JPG

Edited by RonnieBee

As luck would have it,  This is included in the DLI touring exibition - Currently ast the Word, South Shields.

Great War Signal Lamp.jpg

Nice. Is this WWI ? I always thought that those would come in wooden cases. Is it dated somewhere ?

1197111040_morsekey.jpg.50f06df52cc5db4e3db5ca6b1892c542.jpgSorry - no dates visible,  The interpretation panel says its Great War,  but after your comments,  I've taken a closer look and there is an instruction panel on the key set which uses a type face I recognise from my (Cold War) service.  What do you think?  

Edited by Gunner Hall
Trying to get the thing the right way up

I think it's a great lamp but I also think that it isn't Great War but second World War. The difficutly sometimes is that these signalling lamps didn't change much over the years. The same story with heliographs but these are dated. Like early telephones, signallers' lamps were housed in wooden cases. I am not an expert but this is what I think. I ride an old WWI Triumph and have already some communication equipment (telescope 1916 and tripod, heliograph 1917 and tripod). I use them to give lectures and of course demonstrate the equipment. Thank you !

Ronnie Bracke

I would agree that it is of WW2 vintage - the '37 pattern webbing strap pointing in this direction plus the use of what looks like Bakelite which I think is also post WW1.

David 

You are welcome RonnieBee,  Until this landed in our current exibition, I had no idea that such things existed.  I knew about heliographs and wireless sets, but this "hybrid" is totally new to me.   Again, I'm in awe of the knowledge displayed by you and Granville - and if I may use the term other "Old Contemptibles" on this great site.

This is the "Short Range Daylight Signalling Lamp Mk II" also known as the Lucas lamp. These came out about 1917 and fitted to either the MkIII tripod which was used by the 3-inch & 5-inch heliographs, the lime lights, and the Begbie signal lamp "B". alternatively it also fitted to the galvanised steel spike as in the photo. Note that the Mk III tripod was adopted by List of Changes  §5397 of Feb 1888. These remained in production until the end of WW2, although in WW2 the design of the reinforcing at the top of the legs was changed, without a new LoC or advancing the Mk number.

The example in the Photo is a WW2 manufacture lamp. In WW1 they only used the wood box. In WW2 they were made with the wood box, the pressed sheet steel box and an aluminium box. In WW1 the lamps were painted in black lacquer (jap-o-lac), with WW2 examples in the service olive drab used for various optical instruments.

Cheers

Ross

Ross1752251087_Daylightlamp1.jpg.84ef344c756aad8195990e30ea8138b8.jpg

Typical Mk I lamp, in wood box. (the yellow plastic plugs are not original, see the black bakelite plug below)

P1010732.JPG.0656886a5b79550456f2e3f6cc753f93.JPG

Typical Mk II lamp from WW1. Note that unlike the Mk I, the base of the lamp is on a gimble fitting, with a wing nut to secure the lamp after it has been aligned.

P1010731.JPG.7a96c250ac067ef97c26fb67ab5ed944.JPG

Makers plate from the lamp above.

343743797_Oct20141.jpg.bbe9f8797a4ad7c94f1b11b92e0a579e.jpg

Mk II in wood case, this example by "Jos Lucas, Birmingham"

Thanks for these great replies. If I may add. On the tripod of my heliograph of 1917 is stamped "lamp or helio" so the lamp above could maybe be mounted on this stand ? Another nice detail : the lamp MKII is stamped CAV. I happen to own an unrestored Douglas motorcycle of 1916 that has seen the 14-18 campaign and fitted with a CAV magneto to provide the spark. I ride my motorcycles and communications equipment to demonstrate and show at events or lectures. Would love to own a lamp. Only thing missing next to my telescope and heliograph. Thanks !