Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

33rd Field Coy. Royal Engineers, war diary

museumtom

Can some pal please post a link where I may purchase the war diary of 33rd Field Coy. 
Royal Engineers for the period around April 1915.

If you can help I would be very grateful.

Kind regards.

Tom

Tom

There was no 33 Field Company. There was 33 Fortress Company however based a Cork which was converted to a Base Park Company for Salonika. 

TR

Hello Terry. Thanks for your help.

Its this lad I am interested in and the CWGC states his unit as 33rd Field Company.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/349637/dayman,-/

Also SDGW says it is the same unit.

First name(s)A.Last nameDaymanService number725RankSpr.RegimentCorps Of Royal EngineersBattalion-Battalion details-ResidenceStoke Hartlands, DevonBirth placeBideford, DevonshireEnlistment placeLondonDeath year1915Death day1Death month4Cause of deathDiedDeath placeHomeTheatre of warHomeSupplementary Notes(33RD FIELD COY., R.E.).CategoryMilitary, armed forces & conflictSubcategoryFirst World WarCollections fromGreat Britain, UK None

Having said that you are correct, its the Cork unit I am interested in-' 33 Fortress Company however based a Cork' is there any unit diaries for them please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Tom

Alfred Dayman, died at Cork Military Hospital which puts him in 33 Fortress Company. Born Bideford , home address 108 West St, Stoke Harlands, Devon.  Enlisted London. Effects £107 155 10d. Administration granted to Thomas Dayman, blacksmith. 

There is no war diary I'm afraid.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thank you Terry, your help is very much appreciated. I was hoping there was some record for that unit. Are there are diaries or other reference material for the R.E. and RGA in Cork that I may download please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Tom

Not that I know of.  I can tell you he was a regular army sapper born in 1871 and in the 1911 military census is shown as serving in either Mauritius or South Africa. He was a tailor.

TR

Thank you Terry, you are a mine of great information and a gentleman. Would you be aware of any references for Coastal forts in Cork in the NA please?

Kindest regards.

Tom.

That is exactly what I am looking for Terry. How may I access them please?

Bummer, thanks anyway Terry, you are a star.

Kind regards.

Tom.

On 28/03/2019 at 15:00, museumtom said:

Bummer, thanks anyway Terry, you are a star.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom

A couple of years ago I did some research into coastal batteries in Gibraltar and the UK. Amongst the maps and drawings at TNA was a plan of some barracks in Ireland. There was an annotation saying that copies of plans had been handed to the government of the Irish Republic. It may be then that some of what you are seeking might be in an Irish archive.

TR

Y'know something Terry?, you might just be right! I'll do some digging.

Thanks for all your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

As I delve in the far reaches of my fertile mind I remember there are some maps and plans from the British Army in Camden Fort, and some from the Irish Army. I would love to find a diary of what life was life in the fort pre 1939.

Kind regards.

Tom;

• 1 year later...

Dayman died in the Military Hospital, Cork. This man is not in my databases as he was not Irish and was not buried here.

Edited by museumtom

@museumtom how far did you get with your research. I’m just starting off on this ancestor. Did he die in Cork? 

15 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Dayman died in the Military Hospital, Cork. This man is not in my databases as he was not Irish and was not buried here.

he’s buried in Devon. Trying to work out if he returned injured from the front or was just based out of Cork. 🤔

Edited by Lu88

He died from Acute Pneumonia and Heart Failure. He was two days in hospital.