Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thank You GWF from Perth Academy

DoubleD

Dear Admin, I was hoping to post this in the Centenary Projects section, but I don't seem to be able to. Could of course be my fault!

In 2014 a group of students at Perth Academy undertook a project to remember all 168 former pupils and staff who fell in the Great War. They have held short remembrance ceremonies at the school memorial, as close as possible to the centenary of the death of them all. They called their project "Flowers of the Forest". I can't think of anything more apt.

To make these ceremonies more meaningful, I agreed to find out as much as I could about all of them. It was suggested to me that the GWF might be a good place to start. I couldn't have been given better advice! Thank you so much Forum Pals for your generosity and kindness to a total novice. I appreciate it personally, but the people who have benefitted most are the students and staff of the school, and the many descendants of our fallen who we have managed to make a connection with because of your help.

Our final ceremony took place on Tuesday. We remembered Captain James Paterson M.C. who died in London of broncho-pneumonia. I've attached a couple of photos. There is also a photo of the Great-niece of another of our own, and her daughter. They are the descendants of Verena Campsie, the sister of Lieutenant Jack Sieber, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, attached King's African Rifles. They were able to visit James' grave in Highgate Cemetery on Sunday, on our behalf.

James Paterson was remembered in London, and Perth. Not at exactly the same time, but that didn't matter. In that moment there was also a connection between James and Jack. I think the school has done them all proud, and these two acts of remembrance provided a fitting conclusion to an amazing journey.

Thank you.

Dave Dykes

image1.jpeg

IMG_0317.JPG

image2.jpeg

Well done to all concerned in this project.

Bernard

An excellent project. I'm glad we could help.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, an excellent project, you've done them proud!:poppy:

Chris

Sorry folks, been away for a few days. I did try to reply on my 'phone but another failure I'm afraid.

Just wanted to say thank you for the kind words in reply to my post.

Dave