Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Chris_Baker

Sixth Bn, South Staffordshire Regiment

roger

Chris,

Thankyou very much for taking the trouble to reproduce that account for me, it's greatly appreciated.

One more question, how many men did the battalion lose on 29th September?

Thanks again,

Roger.

Doug Lewis

Roger

Twenty six men were killed in action that day.

Regards Doug

roger

Doug,

Thanks very much for looking that up for me.

Thought you might be interested in this chap as his wife was living in Wolverhampton at some point.

FRED METCALF

Private 7378

2/York and Lancaster Regiment 16 brigade 6th Division

Who died on Monday 9 August 1915. Age 31 KIA.

Son of John and Mary Ann Metcalfe, of Aiskew Bank, Bedale, Yorks.; husband of Mary Jane Evans (formerly Metcalfe), of 8, Railway Row, Monmore Green, Bilston Rd., Wolverhampton

Born, Bedale. Enlisted, Leeds. Resided, Bedale.

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Thanks again,

Roger.

Doug Lewis

Roger

Thanks for the information,I will store it away.Monmore's memorial is next on my list for researching and his name might appear.

Regards Doug

roger

Your very welcome Doug. I thought you might find it of interest. Please let me know if anything turns up.

Cheers,

Roger.

Chris_Baker

I have split an enquiry regarding Thomas Topping from this discussion, and created a new entry in the "Soldiers" area.

Grimesy1967

Hi Chris, not the 6th, but the 7th. I ask as your relative died same day as my private Alfred colledge 32558.

I have no pics - any regimental pics possibly available, no knowledge of when he joined. (trained in the sherwoods)

He had a young family so i assume he must have volunteered, as it was 1916 i believe. Not sure if messines was his only frontline exposure.

I can't get down to Kew yet, and want to do more research before i do. If I am being too vague could you point my nose in the right direction please?

Many thanks

Chris

Chris_Baker

There is a very good history of the 7th South Staffords, edited by Major A. H. Ashcroft DSO and originally published in 1919. I think it has been reprinted in paperback by Naval & Military Press. I'm lucky enough to have found an original in a local bookshop a few years ago - and at a reasonable price.

It should be possible to research Alfred: have a read of "Research a soldier" at The Long, Long Trail (link top left above).

Bilston

Hi Chris, Hi.  I'm trying to find any information pictures or photos of the 6 South Staffs G Company who based from the drill hall at Mount Pleasant Bilston (now The Robin2).

A relative in 6 G fought and died at Gommecourt on 1 July 1916.  http://www.gommecourt.co.uk/6thSStaffs.htm

My relative was John Edward Lloyd  240745 (3304). Died 1 July 1916 Grommecourt.

He lived a few minutes walk from the 6th G company drill hall in Bilston so its very likely he was in this.

best regards