Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sixth Bn, South Staffordshire Regiment

Chris_Baker

Chris,

Thankyou very much for taking the trouble to reproduce that account for me, it's greatly appreciated.

One more question, how many men did the battalion lose on 29th September?

Thanks again,

Roger.

Roger

Twenty six men were killed in action that day.

Regards Doug

Doug,

Thanks very much for looking that up for me.

Thought you might be interested in this chap as his wife was living in Wolverhampton at some point.

FRED METCALF

Private 7378

2/York and Lancaster Regiment 16 brigade 6th Division

Who died on Monday 9 August 1915. Age 31 KIA.

Son of John and Mary Ann Metcalfe, of Aiskew Bank, Bedale, Yorks.; husband of Mary Jane Evans (formerly Metcalfe), of 8, Railway Row, Monmore Green, Bilston Rd., Wolverhampton

Born, Bedale. Enlisted, Leeds. Resided, Bedale.

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Thanks again,

Roger.

Roger

Thanks for the information,I will store it away.Monmore's memorial is next on my list for researching and his name might appear.

Regards Doug

Your very welcome Doug. I thought you might find it of interest. Please let me know if anything turns up.

Cheers,

Roger.

• 3 weeks later...

I have split an enquiry regarding Thomas Topping from this discussion, and created a new entry in the "Soldiers" area.

• 4 years later...

Hi Chris, not the 6th, but the 7th. I ask as your relative died same day as my private Alfred colledge 32558.

I have no pics - any regimental pics possibly available, no knowledge of when he joined. (trained in the sherwoods)

He had a young family so i assume he must have volunteered, as it was 1916 i believe. Not sure if messines was his only frontline exposure.

I can't get down to Kew yet, and want to do more research before i do. If I am being too vague could you point my nose in the right direction please?

Many thanks

Chris

There is a very good history of the 7th South Staffords, edited by Major A. H. Ashcroft DSO and originally published in 1919. I think it has been reprinted in paperback by Naval & Military Press. I'm lucky enough to have found an original in a local bookshop a few years ago - and at a reasonable price.

It should be possible to research Alfred: have a read of "Research a soldier" at The Long, Long Trail (link top left above).

• 10 years later...

Hi Chris, Hi.  I'm trying to find any information pictures or photos of the 6 South Staffs G Company who based from the drill hall at Mount Pleasant Bilston (now The Robin2).

A relative in 6 G fought and died at Gommecourt on 1 July 1916.  http://www.gommecourt.co.uk/6thSStaffs.htm

My relative was John Edward Lloyd  240745 (3304). Died 1 July 1916 Grommecourt.

He lived a few minutes walk from the 6th G company drill hall in Bilston so its very likely he was in this.

best regards

• 2 years later...
On 02/06/2003 at 10:12, Chris_Baker said:

I have a copy of "The War History of the Sixth Battalion, the South Staffordshire Regiment (TF) - compiled by a Committee of Officers who served with the Battalion". Published by Wm Heinemann in 1924. Very useful for students of the regiment or of 46th Division.

Happy to do look-ups, etc.

I have pmed you Chris

• 2 years later...

Good morning all. One of my great-uncles, Tom Vincent Dann, enlisted in the South Staffs around 21 October 1914. He was commissioned on 24 August 1915.

He was killed in action 13 October 1915. I have been told that he was buried but the grave could not be located afterwards. I would really like to discover if there are any 'unkown' graves around Loos that could in fact be him. The CWGC are unable to offer any information.Private T V Dann.pdf

2nd Lt T V Dann.jpg

1 hour ago, Wavegazer said:

Good morning all. One of my great-uncles, Tom Vincent Dann, enlisted in the South Staffs around 21 October 1914. He was commissioned on 24 August 1915.He was killed in action 13 October 1915. I have been told that he was buried but the grave could not be located afterwards. I would really like to discover if there are any 'unkown' graves around Loos that could in fact be him. The CWGC are unable to offer any information.

I think this would take a long time to research. I have a family member in the same scenario, different battle, and there seemed to be any one of a dozen possible graves in the village where he fell. 

Having used the CWGC website to research men prior to visiting the battlefields and memorials, it obscured just how many unidentified men have graves. It was an eye-opener to me to see so many.

Loos British Cemetery
          'The great majority of the soldiers buried here fell in the Battle of Loos. There are nearly 3,000, 1914-18 and a small number of 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, two-thirds from the 1914-18 are unidentified

• Total identified casualties: 901
  • Identified casualties from: First & Second World War'

Dud Corner Cemetery
         'There are now nearly 2,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over half are unidentified

• Total identified casualties: 687
  • Identified casualties from: First World War

'

Wavegazer, if you haven't already done so it will be essential to examine what is left of Tom's service record. It is held at the National Archives (not online) at the following reference. It is just possible that there will be a snippet of information that may help narrow down the possibilities.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C687933

Edited by Chris_Baker

Thank you for taking the time to reply - it is much appreciated.

I will now have to make the trip up to Kew at some time as the documents are not available to download.