Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Place where my grandfather's cousin fell?

angelab

Today I visited the grave of my grandfather's cousin Charles Russell Bristow, at Ribemont-sur-Ancre.

Browsing the CWGC entry again this evening, I realise that the reason his stone is one of three packed closely together is that, before reburial here,  his and the two other adjacent bodies were found marked by a single cross.

A reference is given for the place they were originally found, and I wondered whether anyone could help me locate where that might be:

62d.D.17.b.5.5

Many thanks in advance!

Wow! Fantastic Acknown!

That's amazing; thank you so much.

...and E Yorks!

Edited by angelab

Please see this NLS map 62d dated May 1918. D 17 b 5 5 is in a trench marked Reserve between Darling Trench (11 d) and Darwin Trench (17 d).

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101465317

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

This is from the 1:100,000 IGN no 103 (Amiens-Arras). I do not have the 1:25,000 map which covers the area but it will be on 2408 O.

001.JPG

That tmapper.com link was incredible! What an outstanding resource.

It's a sobering thought that those innocuous farm fields all over the Western Front that are now so peaceful once saw such horrors.

3 hours ago, Michael Thomson said:

It's a sobering thought that those innocuous farm fields all over the Western Front that are now so peaceful once saw such horrors.

That's what struck me when I walked around Guillemont and also Poelkapelle. It's farming country and nothing else should ever happen there.

Brian