Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Practice trenches in Wytham Woods, Oxford

J T Gray

I found out through the Wytham Woods Facebook feed in December that there were WW1 practice trenches in these woods (you may have seen Wytham Woods on the TV eg https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06fq03t - it's effectively the University of Oxford's ecological laboratory, so access is restricted to card holders). Walkers are asked to keep to the paths so there is not normally access to the area with the trenches in though you can see the communication trench leading to them from the path - I've looked at it many times when walking there, and never twigged what it was!

I visited on a guided tour today, and have attached some photos below. It seems that they were forgotten until a WW2 German reconnaisance photo was discovered and an area of open ground, now largely grown over with beech trees, could be seen to have an extensive trench network in it.

I've attached a number of photos of the two groups of trenches, with the communication trench running up the hill to them, and the large group of people crossing no-man's land between the two sets. It seems that they were deliberately set up as two opposing trench lines. The survival is quite startling - they were obviously still clear and sharp on the ground in 1940ish, and today you can still follow them from the photograph. The uppermost set are under much more undergrowth than the lower ones, which are mostly under the beech trees so clear of everything but bluebells and beech leaves, and there is a certain amount of excavation by the resident badgers. You'll be pleased to hear that the latrines are still functioning - well, the badgers are using them, anyway!

Adrian

_DSC3502.JPG

_DSC3499.JPG

_DSC3500.JPG

_DSC3501.JPG

_DSC3503.JPG

_DSC3504.JPG

_DSC3505.JPG

_DSC3506.JPG

_DSC3507.JPG

_DSC3508.JPG

_DSC3509.JPG

_DSC3510.JPG

_DSC3511.JPG

_DSC3512.JPG

_DSC3513.JPG

_DSC3514.JPG

_DSC3516.JPG

_DSC3517.JPG

_DSC3518.JPG

_DSC3519.JPG

Excellent pics, thanks. It seems that these trenches have not been mentioned before on the Forum.

I wonder which units used them? Presumably the University's Officer Training Corps and the Officer Cadet Battalions based locally: Number 4 was at "Oxford", Number 6 more specifically at Balliol College.

Balliol during the First World War

Plan your visit to the Woods

including getting a pass.

Moonraker

That's fascinating! I went out to Wytham Woods with some friends once in the 90s, to hear the nightingales singing (they did) but we were mostly in the open so I had no idea about those.

Is the reconnaissance photograph copyright, do you know? I would like to share it around.

seaJane

1 minute ago, Moonraker said:

I wonder which units used them? Presumably the University's Officer Training Corps

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that Port Meadow was used (as well?) but I can't recall where.

25 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Was it here?

Moonraker

I don't think it was (though it's good to see George Lambrick's name again). However it could well have been at the Tolkien exhibition in the Weston Library with which the thread opens!

sJ

Great photos.

I have been meaning to get a pass and have a look around, now you have given me another reason to do so.

Port Meadow was used as an airfield. There is a post about it in the "War in the Air" forum.

Bob

Thank you! I must admit that I didn't check whether they's been previously mentioned. I think the photograph showing them came to light in the last couple of years, so they're a relatively recent re-discovery. There is a photo of troops camping in the area, supposedly the Ox & Bucks Light Infantry - of whom more below.

I haven't a clue about the copyright status of the photo - maybe, like Crown copyright, it was copyright to Hitler but as he's been dead 74 years, maybe you're OK? You are welcome to share my photo of the printout of the photo, though.

Intriguingly, I have gone back to the 2003 thread quoted in my earlier thread and looked at the book concerned to see whether it had been digitised anywhere. Lo and behold, there is page 55, and who should be on it but the OBLI digging trenches on a steep slope. There are other places it could be, Headington, Shotover, but that slope is steep enough to be Wytham. I wonder...

https://archive.org/details/kitchenersarmyte00wall/page/54

Adrian

Edited by J T Gray
Forgot to paste in link

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 24/03/2019 at 06:22, Moonraker said:

Excellent pics, thanks. It seems that these trenches have not been mentioned before on the Forum.

I wonder which units used them? Presumably the University's Officer Training Corps and the Officer Cadet Battalions based locally: Number 4 was at "Oxford", Number 6 more specifically at Balliol College.

Correct, the OTC (Keble College at least) were practicing trench digging, bomb throwing, orientation etc at Wytham.

From my grandfathers WW1 diaries .... he attended the 4th Officer Cadet Battalion (OCB) Oxford - C Company (Keble College) - 7th Course - April 1918

13/5/18 Monday    We were supposed to go out to Wytham Hill & camp there for 4 days for trench digging etc but it rained hard after we were all packed up and it was postponed. Went up the river to the trout farm & done some rowing. Turned out a lovely afternoon. 
14/5/18 Tuesday    We shipped out to Wytham Hill today & camped here to do trenches & etc. Plenty of lovely bush about & it is just lovely.
15/5/18 Wednesday    Digging trenches all day. Terrible hot. Bob & Jack & I went into Eyesham tonight before tea. 
16/5/18 Thursday    Map reading & judging distance today. A scorching day. 
17/5/18 Friday    The weather is terrific hot just now. We left this camp today & marched back to Keble College to our old posies. Study tonight.

22/7/18 Monday    All the rest of the company have went out to Wytham for the week. Just the NZ’ers left. 23 of us. Our exam is on Tuesday & we have to study etc. Were out all day on tactical tour. Jack & I were on the mat this morning also Bob & Alf for lights not out after 11pm. Got off & we’re lucky. 

26/7/18 Friday    Went out to Wytham Camp but it rained hard & we got very wet, but had a great time.

12/8/18 Monday    NZ’ers went out to Wytham & threw some live bombs. 

Ive attached a couple of photos from his collection showing the NZ'ers at Wytham trenching.

All the best, J T Gray

Steve

image.png.39a41fc6aed5a01efbeba365cb6e9b25.pngimage.png.943c00306f20cbbb4076e8900992c342.png

• 3 weeks later...

Adrian

many thanks for posting this thread.  I'm researching the OCBs for a PhD on officer selection and training, so identifying the training areas is important. I'll have to visit there sometime.

On 10/04/2020 at 14:48, smclaren said:

Correct, the OTC (Keble College at least) were practicing trench digging, bomb throwing, orientation etc at Wytham.

From my grandfathers WW1 diaries .... he attended the 4th Officer Cadet Battalion (OCB) Oxford - C Company (Keble College) - 7th Course - April 1918

Steve

Steve, thanks for posting this. I have a particular interest in No. 4 OCB as it is the only one with significant surviving records. I have copied all the records in the University Archives in the Bodleian Library.  I'm due a return visit to the Keble archives to look at the records there (a priority once we get out of lockdown). Keble has the complete Part 1 and Part 2 orders for No. 4 OCB, so your grandfather will certainly be in them.  What was his name?  I know most about C Company as one of its instructors was a Fellow at Keble.  The registration forms the cadets filled in on arriving at Keble survive for C company, so I should have your grandfather's.

Charles

Edited by Charles Fair

Hi Charles ... I'll create another thread concerning No 4 OCB so as not to pollute this subject on the Wytham trenches. 

I'll tag you in when I post it.

I have some great stuff that will be of interest to you I hope ... and will invite others to contribute accordingly.

Stand by ... 

Steve

Thank you Steve

• 4 months later...

I believe the black and white aerial photo shown earlier in this thread is actually dated November 1918, not of WW2 vintage. Regards

• 6 months later...

Great photos of the trenches; I have been there several times and can highly recommend March or earlier to see them. Having done it once in summer, I can say it gets heavily covered in brambles - don't try to go upwards to get out!

The photo is available from the Imperial War Museum (ref HU 64475);  it cost (2016) £17;40.  I used it for a family video - my grandfather trained in these trenches.   I was told also that many of the soldiers returning from Dunkirk were put up on Port Meadow.

(Incidentally, if you are there, it is worth having a look at the plaque on the wall before The Trout regarding the fatal aircraft crash there a few years before the war).

• 1 year later...
On 10/04/2020 at 14:48, smclaren said:

13/5/18 Monday    We were supposed to go out to Wytham Hill & camp there for 4 days for trench digging etc but it rained hard after we were all packed up and it was postponed. Went up the river to the trout farm & done some rowing. Turned out a lovely afternoon. 
14/5/18 Tuesday    We shipped out to Wytham Hill today & camped here to do trenches & etc. Plenty of lovely bush about & it is just lovely.
15/5/18 Wednesday    Digging trenches all day. Terrible hot. Bob & Jack & I went into Eyesham tonight before tea. 
16/5/18 Thursday    Map reading & judging distance today. A scorching day. 
17/5/18 Friday    The weather is terrific hot just now. We left this camp today & marched back to Keble College to our old posies. Study tonight.

22/7/18 Monday    All the rest of the company have went out to Wytham for the week. Just the NZ’ers left. 23 of us. Our exam is on Tuesday & we have to study etc. Were out all day on tactical tour. Jack & I were on the mat this morning also Bob & Alf for lights not out after 11pm. Got off & we’re lucky. 

26/7/18 Friday    Went out to Wytham Camp but it rained hard & we got very wet, but had a great time.

12/8/18 Monday    NZ’ers went out to Wytham & threw some live bombs. 

Ive attached a couple of photos from his collection showing the NZ'ers at Wytham trenching.

All the best, J T Gray

Steve

image.png.39a41fc6aed5a01efbeba365cb6e9b25.pngimage.png.943c00306f20cbbb4076e8900992c342.png

Hi Steve, 

Hope this finds you well. I came across your post as I am currently making a documentary on behalf of Angel Sharp Media (based in Oxford) for Wytham Wood about how it has changed over time and the many parts it has played in the different eras. One of the chapters is on the first world war and during my research stumbled across your post. The diary accounts from you grandfather and images are fascinating and wondered if it might be possible to feature this in the documentary? 

Best wishes,

Stephen Taylor
Producer/Director 

On 30/08/2022 at 21:25, Stephen Taylor said:

Hi Steve, 

Hope this finds you well. I came across your post as I am currently making a documentary on behalf of Angel Sharp Media (based in Oxford) for Wytham Wood about how it has changed over time and the many parts it has played in the different eras. One of the chapters is on the first world war and during my research stumbled across your post. The diary accounts from you grandfather and images are fascinating and wondered if it might be possible to feature this in the documentary? 

Best wishes,

Stephen Taylor
Producer/Director 

@Stephen Taylor Hi Stephen ... absolutely, I'd be be more than happy for you to use our Grandfathers resources (with the correct source acknowledgement, of course).  

If you PM me here on the GWF with your contact details and what you wish to use (diary entries, photo's etc), I'll be happy to forward to you directly what you need and anything else that may be of interest. 

Regards

Steve