Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Mons Star

andigger

Just picked this book up while the Forum was down, and I am loving it. I've just started, but I think Ascoli's prose is easy to read, and his very dry sense of humor is a hoot!

I would recommend the book, especially since there isn't much written about the BEF and the opening months of the war. Would other Pals agree?

Andy

This was the book that got me started collecting 1914 star groups. Now, nearly fifty groups (and a ton of money) later, Ascoli is the guy I can thank (or blame) for my collection! A great read.

I bought this when it first come out; the dustjacket was illustrated with a Mons Star. I already had a couple by then, and it also spurred me on to collecting medals and memorabilia to the Old Contemptibles - and visit the places where they fought.

It's a great book and I am glad to see it back in print after a very long gap. Sadly the author is no longer with us.

Sadly the author is no longer with us.

Very sad to here this in regard to David Ascoli, was it recent?

I too have read this and found it worth a read and also nice and easy to read. Though I do have to say that Kate Caffrey's 'Farewell Leicester Square' was for me the one that got me hooked and whilst i have not read it since that time it still keeps with me through what it spurred in me.

regards

Arm.

Guest scarletto

As this is what im interested in, i found the Mons Star by Ascoli a very good book indeed, and on the recommendation on another thread have bought Kate Caffrey's 'Farewell Leicester Square' . That too is an excellent book, and really if you have one then you should definetley get the other!

Abe books is the best place to get Kates

Hi,

It sounds a cracking read, what is the full title and author details?

My grandfather received the Mons Star, he was in the RAMC but I cannot trace exactly what unit he was attached during that time.

Would this book help in that respect

Rod

It is 'The Mons Star' by David Ascoli... I'll add the ISBN when I get home tonight. My copy doesn't have a picture of the medal though. I think it is a great read, though I notice he raises a lot of great questions I am just hoping he answers them.

Andy

Guest scarletto

Whilst we are on the subject of Mons, i bought a privatley published book, doing the rounds on e-bay called No Known Grave about a Guys Grandfathers sadly short service in the 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, what an excellent little book and well worth the price

Scarletto

Interesting stuff

Would you mind telling me who the subject of the book is.

Regards

Glyn

Hi all,

Sorry but I am a novice, but what is the mons star.I have heard it mentioned quite often being attached to the BEF. Is it another title for the 1914 star with clasp.I will certainly be getting a copy of this book as it will fill in a few blanks.

Regards,

Simon.

Guest scarletto

No Known Grave by Stephen J Evans is about his Grandfather 2182 Private Ernest Edward Evans. The Evans family have a tradition of serving in the same Battalion and the Grandson has written a nice little book about not only his Grandfather but the Battalion. the book covers the mons period up to 12th November on the battalion, has maps, pictures and roll of honour, ive only seen it on e-bay, but its worth the price.

Scarletto

A long shot but I dont suppose there is any mention of a Capt William Alan Fuller Maitland DOW 19-9-14 1st Battn CG.

I''ll keep a look out on e-bay

Thanks Glyn

Guest scarletto

Capt William Alan Fuller Maitland born 13th April 1882, joined in 1901, hunted with the puckeridge and essex hounds, won point to point in 1914, killed instantaneously by a shell on the 19th sept 1914 during battle of aisne, not in the book but from bond of sacrifice volume 1, theirs a little more on him, mainly where he was born and studied, but no picture unfortunatley of him in the volume.

Scarletto

Thanks for that - I've got a pic anyway but you have still given me some extra info which is a great help - I've got info on his younger days etc as he was from the village I live in.

Bit odd that SDGW has him down as DOW when you have info on him being killed instantaneously.

Interesting but SDGW is not quite perfect.

Thanks again

Glyn

Guest scarletto

I have found that the volume actually says a lot died straightaway, something which i think is a comforter for anyone who was related and read the book, a lot died single shots to head or were blown up and died immidiatley, i think the truth was somewhat grimmer.

Has him down being born in mayfair london?

Scarletto

Yes I think he was born in Mayfair

Captain William Alan Fuller-Maitland[/b]

Eldest son of William Fuller-Maitland and the Hon. Evelyn Coulston Fuller-Maitland of Stansted Hall,Stansted Essex.

Educated at Harrow School from 1896-1899 and at RMC, Sandhurst

Commissioned in the Coldstream Guards in 1901 and served in South African War in 1902.

Went to France with his Regiment in 1914 and served during the Retreat from Mons and in the Battle of the Marne. Killed in action in the Battle of the Aisne, near Troyon on 14 Sep 1914 at the age of 32.

His family are extremeley prominent in Stansteds History.

Sorry to have hi-jacked Andys Thread about the Mons Star Book - I've just ordered a copy and will give my comments once read.

Glyn

I'd like to second the many recommendations for Ascoli's book. I picked it up for 50 pence being sold off from Manchester Central library (probably because a number of readers had chosen to annotate it - in ink!). The prose is easy on the brain, yet the detail is most informative. A very good blend.

Cheers,

Ste

Ascoli and Kate Caffrey (whose book rarely gets any mention at all) are both extremely good. Another to add is Keith Simpson's "The Old Contemptibles", well illustrated and extremely sound. Neither of Carew's books (on Ypres and the 'Old Army") are worth paying the high price asked by dealers. Both were written before the release of documents. Although Carew clearly interviewed veterans in one case at least it appears that he used material from a radio play and offered it as direct quotation. He also provides no notes or bibliography - allways a bit dodgy I think.

I must also sadly say that I found Malcolm Brown's recent "1914" rather disappointing. It had the feel of "contractual obligation" to it. Perhaps I am being unkind. Would agree that the Ascoli is very good indeed though.

Ok, now I am a little further in the book, and I still very much enjoy it. Although I have to point out there are some aspects which make it hard to follow.

To start with Ascoli relies heavily on telling the story using only brigade, corp, or battery numbers. This is harder for me to follow since I am not as familiar with unit histories as I am with commanding generals.

Additionally his maps are exceptionally general. When reading I rely heavily on the maps so that I understand who is where and what other geographic obstacles are in the way.... raillines, canals, larger cities, etc. I found it exceptionally odd that in some of his maps he did not draw the frontier between Belgium and France. For me this is a key boundry to understanding movements.

Did the others who read the book find these odd too? Andy

I found it exceptionally odd that in some of his maps he did not draw the frontier between Belgium and France. For me this is a key boundry to understanding movements.

Did the others who read the book find these odd too? Andy

I guess he looked at it from a military issue. Boundries of nations are not so important , once they aer in the war, than rivers and cities etc which are a real military boundry.

Can not say i found this when i read it, but it was some years ago so age is catching up with me!

regards

Arm.