Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY - "L" numbers

OK, I am familiar with most of the prefixes to service numbers for infantry regiments but could any kindly member tell me what  the prefix "L" before a RFA service number actually stands for and whether it betokens any particular type of enlistment?

It denotes those enlisted into the locally raised New Army RFA brigades, i.e. 148th - 190th.

Thank you David-Obvious when you know-hopeless when you don't. :wub:

May I ask if this had any practical consquences for the nature of enlistment- always posted to a local artillery brigade?   It does beg the question as to why some men had this prefix and others did not. For me, my local RFA/RGA casualties are the most difficult of the lot.  Is there a golden source which might explain all this RFA number and prefix stuff?

As far as I am aware they were all on Duration of War terms (Form B 2505) and each new brigade or divisional ammunition column was initially given a block of L prefix numbers to work from. When these ran out a new block was issued with a different range of numbers. The Welsh Army Corps artillery, being raised separately, were given a W prefix which ran as one continuous block.

I do hold what you might call key information for RHA and RFA units and numbering. I am working on getting this guide published later in the year. If you can send me a list of your difficult ones I will have a go. Give me an L number and I could most probably tell you his enlistment unit.

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to find details of L/13904 173 Brigade Royal Field Artillery. Would he have joined in London? all I can find is medal card and silver war badge list showing that he was wounded.

Welcome to the Forum,

L/13904 would have enlisted in the Hull area around March 22, 1915. You may be thinking of someone else with a similar name coming from London. Who is the focus of your search?

I'm not sure where this man came from I have a trio of medals belonging to John W Witham. Someone told me that the L prefix was a London based brigade. There are a number of John W Witham's in the census. Thank you.

7 minutes ago, DGP/RLP said:

Someone told me that the L prefix was a London based brigade

No, the L prefix represents locally raised units from all over the UK. In this instance Hull Divisional Ammunition Column which became 31 DAC on May 14, 1915, and 32 DAC on December 20, 1915.

The War Diary for 32nd Divisional Ammunition Column is here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353738

The War Diary for 173rd Brigade RFA is here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353998

The Silver War Badge list does give his unit at discharge as 173rd Brigade RFA, but we don't know when this posting happened.

I have just downloaded the War Diary for 173 brigade and I will be very interested to read it.   I have another question this time about Gnr 81547 George E S Pullman. Enlisted 11th Aug 1914. France 30.1.1915. Discharged 5th Apr 1919 Base details Salonica 3 Res Bde.  (per silver War Bade List)   From his number would you know where he enlisted?

25 minutes ago, DGP/RLP said:

From his number would you know where he enlisted?

The number is associated with No. 3 Depot RFA, Hilsea, and issued around mid August 1914. His actual place of enlistment cannot be narrowed down further than the Southern Command area.

Hi DGP/RLP,

With reference to L/13904 John William Whitham. FIndmypast have a hospital admission/discharge record for him (link) which gives his apparent age, and might help you to tie him back to the 1911 census. The record reads as:

First name(s): J W

Last name: Whitham

Service number: 13904

Unit: 32 DAC, Royal Field Artillery

Admitted to 2 General Hospital (Quai D'Escale, Le Havre) on 30.12.1915 suffering from 'Abscess ICT Thigh R'. Discharged to Reinforcements [Depot] at Le Havre on 23.1.1916.

9 months completed service, 1 day completed with the field force.

His SWB record shows that he was discharged due to wounds in January 1918. Fold3 has a pension index card for him which gives a couple of addresses.

image.png.5b568e3cdc7db0eea5f3611612f399a0.png

Image sourced from Fold3

I think that he might be this man in the 1939 Register (Ancestry link)

image.png.701feff33518e7568bc887472f5634c9.png

...and this man in the 1911 census (Ancestry link).

image.png.dc026b6c7d57da5d2b6ae97e59eb35e0.png

Images sourced from Ancestry

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk
hyperlink added

Hi,

Yes there is - the link is here. Essentially the card reads as:

Name: George Pullman

Service number: 81547 (Gunner, RFA)

Date of discharge: 5.4.1919

Year of birth: 1892

Marital status: Single

Address: Waxway Cottage, East Hill, Ottery St Mary, Devon

Disabilities: [1] "Def Vision (Corneal Ulcer)", and [2] "Malaria". Both are shown as being attributable to service.

FMP also have a hospital record for him (link), 11.12.1918 to 1.2.1919, where he was treated for a reoccurrence of malaria??

image.png.f90aadd10751f2c665c23a0988b4afc4.png

At the time of his admission he was serving with:

image.png.623eaa2c0550f01209007878bb47238e.png

Images sourced from Findmypast

Regards

Chris

M.A.D. North stands for Main Ammunition Depot in Salonika (Northern Section). This would likely be regarded as an attachment from their usual unit in Salonika.

On 13/08/2020 at 17:17, David Porter said:

M.A.D. North stands for Main Ammunition Depot in Salonika (Northern Section). This would likely be regarded as an attachment from their usual unit in Salonika.

Many thanks David.

That's interesting. I didn't know what it was short for.

On the same record there are some other men that show the same thing...

image.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

I saw service files for a couple of them, one of which was silent on the matter, the record just reading his postings to Battery/Brigade. The other one of which indicated that he was indeed 'attached' to 'MAD' from his unit.

Regards

Chris