Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Book sought, subject "WW1 casualties and their care in the UK"?

seaJane

Question from an enquirer. I haven't got the energy to go hunting through catalogues at the moment, so has anyone any suggestions? Age no object.

"Is there a standard work that might address the question of WW1 casualties and their care in the UK?"

I have/read

Wounded from battlefield to blighty 1914-18

by Emily Mayhew

printers Bodley head.

Its what it says on the tin broken down into different aspects of wounded soldiers

I would recommend it

hope this may help

:poppy:

Thanks Biffo :)

Maybe a little niche but does cover the subject of wounded

Peter Barham’s Forgotten Lunatics of the Great War

SeaJane,

I'lm with Biffo on this one. Emily Mayhew's book is very understandable. It draws on testimonies. What might be restrictive with regards to the subject is that it stops the evacution chain at the London Ambulance Convoys, thus with the arrival of the wounded in England and them being despatched to the various hospitals.

There's another reference that might be good:

HARRISON, Mark: The medical war: British Medicine in the First World War, Oxford University Press, 2010.

It's more scientific and covers the wide range of medicine in the war, and if I recall right (I've read this a couple of years ago) there is a chapter on hospitals in Britain.

But the question, come to think of it, is a good one: there's a lot of focus on hospitals in France and Belgium, the courageous doctors and stretcher bearers, intrepid nurses and fearful matrons and all but far less on the hospitals on the home front.

M.

This book might be of interest and was only published in 2014 and one which I am currently trying to access via inter-library loan, The Politics of Wounds: Military Patients and Medical Power in the First World War, (Oxford University Press), by Ana Carden-Coyne. It is available via Amazon but you will need deep pockets as the price is an eye watering £83. 

Thanks everyone, keep going!

I'm very grateful.

sJ