Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cavalry Lance Markings WW1 NSW Australia

kylet183

Hi all,

I am wondering about British lances that would have been used in the first world war.

I have come across a bamboo lance that i suspect is the 1868 pattern? It has NSWC which i assume is New South Wales Cavalry, which would pre date WW1. Could this lance have still been in issue at the beginning of the war?

I dont have much info to go off at all and any info on the patterns used in general would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Kyle.

IMG_3821.JPG

IMG_3822.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

IMG_3825.JPG

IMG_3826.JPG

IMG_3827.JPG

I suspect that the lance was used by the NSW Lancers going by the pennant colours.

They were militia during the First World War  and did not serve overseas.

See here-

https://australiaspastpresent.com/2014/09/05/the-distinguished-royal-new-south-wales-lancers/

You could contact the Lancers Museum in Parramatta to date it.

Scott

I think white over red was the colouring used for all lance pennons on the British service.

Hi,

This is the P1868, as the only pattern with a bamboo shaft. The only pre-WW1 "Cavalry" for NSW were the NSW Lancers, who had troops all across the colony/state. They were always referred to as "Lancers" rather than as cavalry and items of equipment are usually marked NSWL and the troop/regiment number. I would suggest that "NSWC" is actually New South Wales Constabulary" (police) and that this could be either pre- or post federation. The NSW Police have had a ceremonial mounted troop equipped with lances since their formation and still do. The name of the police has changed several times over the years, being the "NSW Police Force" for much of the c20 then becoming the "NSW Police Service" and a few years back changing back to NSW Police Force.  

Below are some extracts from Ian Skennerton's pamphlet on swords and lances. The information and sketches are from the List Of Changes

Cheers

Ross

PS I do not know why, but most lances found in Australia are the bamboo shaft P1868, the ash shaft patterns appear quite rare. I have seen a P1860 on the market but that was a very long time ago.

1345404418_Lance2.JPG.7e90a9721b1360852bdbb749f5c0acf3.JPG

269536692_Lance1.JPG.f2f3c0d3f65e54b20926b424a39f5da2.JPG

Thanks for all the replies!

Does anyone know what these markings refer to on a Pat. 1868? Other than the manufacture date?

Thanks again!Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.681f39ce48cdbadb1492fbeeb2dc9194.jpg

29 minutes ago, kylet183 said:

Thanks for all the replies!

Does anyone know what these markings refer to on a Pat. 1868? Other than the manufacture date?

Thanks again!Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.681f39ce48cdbadb1492fbeeb2dc9194.jpg

I believe I.P. stands for Indian Pattern, with the makers initials and an inspection mark underneath. 

Best,

Elliot

On 17/03/2019 at 12:44, Steven Broomfield said:

I think white over red was the colouring used for all lance pennons on the British service.

The other way up, I think, Mr B.

The illustrations in the List of Changes clearly show the darker (red?) half over white, as in the illustrations in post 4. I don't know whether different British regiments (including Yeomanry) used different combinations of colours, or what the Dominions mounted units used.

Ron

The attached are from R. Money Barnes’ ‘A History of the Regiments and Uniforms of the British Army’ (1950):

A65F02CB-2309-41DA-87FF-E9BC2563434A.jpeg

B4304DF6-92A4-4B53-A1C5-06565CFA65EC.jpeg