Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ships and Navies

tonycad

I have been pursing under another Topic the torpedoing of a ship carrying sea-mines.

All hands were lost in the sinking, which would indicate a quick sinking, or a catastrophic explosion.

No doubt the mines on passage were not primed, but would the explosion of the torpedo in a relatively small ship have created a sympathetic explosion of the mines.

Tony

Tony,

A torpedo explosion could possible set off mines carried on a ship. However, a single torpedo hit on a small ship was also quite capable of causing the extremely rapid sinking of such a ship. Note that the German U-series submarines were issued with subcaliber torpedoes at least through late 1917 when engaged in Handelskrieg. Using the latest, most expensive and powerful torpedoes against smallish merchant ships was considered wasteful as older torpedoes with half the explosive were adequate to sink such vessels.

Also many cases of ships lost with no survivors involved crews that got away from sinking ships but were not recovered/rescued.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael,

Thank you for your quick and considered response.

Can you help me on this:-

SS Murcia, 871 grt, defensively armed, torpedoed without warning, 12 miles from Port Said, 2nd November 1918. Do you know which UBoat sank her.

Thank you,

Tony

Michael Lowrey, Malcolm and other Pals who helped me,

My friend has translated, with much difficulty as he is not too familiar with the German Gothic script, the log entry by Oberleutnant zur See Johannes in UB57 on the sinking of MFV Eleanor in February 1918.

The log states that they had some technical difficulties with the torpedoes. One torpedo went under Elanor, but she was sunk by a second.

Eleanora sank within 5 minutes, without launching her lifeboats.

Later some of the crew swam near the submarine, and amongst other things one shouted "thank God if your souls are saved", and this was logged in English.

All 34 crew members perished, and it is atmospheric and emotional that this was the last sighting of them alive.

Tony