Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

369224109_OzPhotos018.jpg.ce0106141be3aa2baa3b44f6f63492e0.jpg

This picture is from a family collection of photographs. My Grandfather Harry Hancock c990, 16th KRRC lived in Aylestone, Leicester. From the inscription this picture is of Harry Lock also from Aylestone. I have found a record in the 1911 census that shows a Harry Lock (no 'e') living at 340 Aylestone Road, Leicester aged 15 at the time. I can find no other records of Harry on Ancestry or on the Imperial War Museum 'Lives of the First World War' site. I also have a copy of the book 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' for the KRRC and there is no record there either.

I am assuming from Harry's uniform and that my Grandfather was in the 16 KRRC and had this photograph that Harry was also in this Regiment but I could be wrong. Another assumption is that Harry was in the Church Lads Brigade with my Grandfather as the 16th was the CLB pals regiment. 

I would like to try and confirm if this Harry Lock and if he was with the 16 KRRC. I would like to put this photograph on the 'Lives of the First World War' site if his record can be identified. As you know time is running out before the site closes on the 19th March. Any help[ much appreciated.

Have found one Harry Lock KRRC, But he appears to be from Bromley, Kent. Died of wounds 22/8/18 aged 23. 13th Battalion. B/201718 formerly T4/092578, A.S.C. Going to assume it is not him pending further evidence. Searching....

Many thanks for your help Mark.

I have now found the 1901 census and he is listed as Henry Lock, so sounds like he was known as Harry later. Details of parents and siblings tie up across the 1901 and 1911 census so I'm sure its the same chap. Both say born in Leicester. Can't find anything in the military records on Ancestry under Henry but the Imperial War Museum does turn up a Henry Lock in the KRRC with a number of Z/218. As it doesn't have the 'c' prefix I'm still unsure if its the right person.

I think you're right. I've found his medal roll on Ancestry and it looks like a 'C' but easy to see why its been transcribed as a 'Z'. 

No mention of being Killed in Action and he doesn't come up on the lists of soldiers who died in the Great War. So the KIA inscription on the photo remains a bit of a mystery.

The Harry Lock on the census appears to be Henry Seamer Lock, who died in 1970.

As an aside, he seems to have been one of at least seventeen children.

Do you think it's the same person, no mention of Seamer on either census or his medal roll?

In the 1901 census the family are at 4 Ashford Street, Aylestone, Leicester. Henry is aged 5.

In the 1911 census the family are at 340 Aylestone Road, Leicester. Henry (Listed as Harry) is 15.

Parents are James and Jane and the names and ages of the siblings align. I make it 15 children taking into account both of the census.

I'm pretty sure I've got the right man given the Aylestone, Church Lads and KRRC connections.

It's now the KIA bit that I'd like to try and solve, unless it is the same person? 

Many thanks for your help with this.

Yes, i'm fairly certain that the Harry/Henry on the census is Henry Seamer Lock, 

James Seamer Lock married Jane Comerford in 1881. Henry Seamer Lock was baptised 23rd February 1896 in St John the Baptist, Leicester. Parents James and Jane.

If he's the same man as C/218, then he wasn't killed.

Many thanks IPT,

That does it for me. Looks like an error or misunderstanding by whoever wrote on the photograph.

H Hancock, C/990, and H Lock, C/218, were in the 16th KRRC, both D Company. They were probably in the St James', Aylestone Park, CLB Company which was numbered 2135, enrolled in November 1902.

• 8 months later...

Good morning- are you able to help me with my researches into Arthur Frank Stanley?

Family memory recalls 'Church Lads Brigade' and KRRC.

His Medal Index Card gives:

Victory and British War Medals

No theatre of operation

325117, 2/16 London Regiment (ie QWR)  private

48235, KRRC. private

The KRRC  could tie in with CLB, and possibly no 1914/15 Star, but how does this tie in with 2/16 London Regt??

thanks in anticipation

Arthur Frank Stanley’s MIC shows he was with 16 London Regiment when medals were awarded (could be 1/16th though)

The 2/16 battalion served in France, Salonika, Palestine and back to France.

(May be better to start a new thread bifbas)

Edited by Jrmh

Hi bifbas.

Sorry no idea. Someone else may know roughly when his various numbers were issued. Another way is to type numbers close to his into the Ancestry search of WW1 Service Records and hope for a result of another soldier that shows approximate date of joining.

Edit:  His number is unusual for 16 London Regiment. Most others start 55.... or 56....  Rank would be shown as Rfn (Rifleman) not Pte.

325... could be from 1/6 London R(ifles) (ie an error on the MIC?)

Good luck.

Jim

Edited by Jrmh