Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please can anyone identify this uniform?

Kuhla

We were led to believe this soldier may be Egyptian and WW1 but cannot find anything - any clues would be appreciated. 

The third image (of another Egyptian?) looks more like WW2 - especially given the modernity of the photo, again any help would be appreciated, many thanks.

IMG_20190312_205859.jpg

IMG_20190312_205957.jpg

IMG_20190312_205918.jpg

Both photos show British uniform and men with Middle Eastern features.  

The first image is from after around 1924, when collar badges started to be worn (I can’t see on my phone what they represent) and a more closely tailored service dress uniform issued.  He wears a Lewis Gunners badge on his left sleeve along with a good conduct badge (stripe) for 2-years regular service without blemish.  The star badge is probably that of a qualified motor vehicle driver, as on the opposite sleeve a similar badge would show possession of judging distance skills (in respect of marksmanship).

The second image is from after 1941 and shows a man in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps wearing battle dress (BD) uniform and a general service cap (similar in construction to a Scottish tam o shanter but without the tuft (toorie) on top).  He has a medal ribbon but I'm not sure what it represents.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I'd hazard a guess that the lower chap's medal is the 1936 India General Service Medal

Hi

image two is wearing a battle dress sometimes referred to as the 37 pattern battledress with the hidden buttons on the pockets and front fly so may perhaps be earlier than 41

regards

11 minutes ago, Dave1418 said:

Hi

image two is wearing a battle dress sometimes referred to as the 37 pattern battledress with the hidden buttons on the pockets and front fly so may perhaps be earlier than 41

regards

Yes that’s true, but the GSC (cap) was issued in 1941, which is why I quoted that date rather than 1937.  My intent was to keep things as straightforward as possible for someone who I could tell had limited knowledge about British military uniform.

I went for a very badly fitting beret at first glance so hence the early date I thought the GS cap was in service from 42 or 43 which may date it later 

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes that’s true, but the GSC (cap) was issued in 1941, which is why I quoted that date rather than 1937.  My intent was to keep things as straightforward as possible for someone who I could tell had limited knowledge about British military uniform.

Absolutely, I have no clue at all despite several hours on Google- so appreciate the info you've all shared, thank you

9 hours ago, Dave1418 said:

I went for a very badly fitting beret at first glance so hence the early date I thought the GS cap was in service from 42 or 43 which may date it later 

I’ve done a check Dave, and you’re closer with the latter year, so mea culpa.  It was issued under Army Council Instruction 1403 dated September 1943 to replace the khaki field service cap, so that dates the photo to mid to late war.  Apparently they were issued at home first and then on a phased issue overseas with some units not receiving them until 1944.  It’s interesting that he matches an early pattern upper garment with much later pattern headdress.

CC8C41B1-410C-4236-B34C-B24E7EAAC544.jpeg

CDE7C896-FC7B-4BEB-A6A1-FB64D3EDE2B6.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

It’s good to see that WW2 uniforms cause as many problems with identification as the Great War items do 

excellent work on the date of introduction