Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Herrington, of Stansted Mountfitchet - Rifle Brigade? Home service?

BereniceUK

The roll of honour in St Mary's Church, Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex, lists several Herringtons as having served, including George R. Herrington. Was this the George Herrington, of Stansted, who was a reservist in the Boer War, called up to the 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade? I should point out that Stansted is the same place as Stansted Mountfitchet.

The Boer War George Herrington was first called up on 13th November 1899, then, after furlough, on 10th March 1900. He was back in Stansted by 17th October 1900 (invalided home because of dysentery), his home address being 6 Brook Cottages, The Common, Stansted - The Common is now called Stoney Common. This George Herrington died on 25th December 1937, aged 67, so he would have been aged 43 or 44 at the outbreak of war in 1914. The brief obituary gave his home address as Stoney Common, Stansted, and stated that he had served in the Rifle Brigade, had been an outstanding Army footballer (presumably during army service in the 1890s), and was a native of Stansted. He left a widow, four sons, and two daughters.

Edited by BereniceUK

Still got to go through some of the Boer War medal rolls for you, however he does not appear in the 2nd RB Rolls. As to the football, I have been through all of the 1890 - 1900 Chronicles and cannot locate any mention of him. Year by year they give different battalions football opponents, as in say v The Worcestershire Regiment. The only battalion that has photographs is the 1st with occasional names of those that played well in the other battalions records.

Andy

Andy, thanks so much for taking the time to have a search. The Bishop's Stortford Independent newspaper was being published in 1900 - still is - so one day I'll try to spend some time in the local archives for a more in-depth search than my looking through the Chelmsford-published newspapers. Should be able to tie that in with a visit to Felsted School.

Berenice,

George Herrington's birth was registered in the 1st quarter of 1871 in Bishop's Stortford as George Herrington with no middle name.

Perhaps George R. Herrington on the memorial is George Robert Redvers Herrington, who's birth was registered in Bishop's Stortford in the 4th quarter of 1900. There is a family tree on Ancestry, but no mention of military service.

EDIT - There are 2 trees on Ancestry, but one is for George Herrington {B 1871} with the death being for George Robert Redvers Herrington {even though his death record shows he was 69 when he died in 1969!}.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
Tree explained

Thanks, Alf, that's great. I'll try to contact Glyn Warwick, who wrote/compiled 'They Sleep In Heroes' Graves - Stansted Mountfitchet during both World Wars.' There are another four Herringtons named on the roll of honour as having served, plus one fatality, William Herrington, of the Essex Regiment.

As I'm sure everyone knows, 'Redvers' came from General Sir Redvers Buller, VC.