Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

lEWIS GROMER ?? 2nd Welsh regiment

BIFFO

I have the 14 trio and swb for Lewis gomer  7267 entered 13-08-14 discharged unfit 31-12-15,I have a very blurred copy of his militia attestation from the other family research site that doesn't begin with A,which I cannot read,any help would be good :thumbsup:

how can I find out where/when he became wounded, on his roll of entitlement for the war badge all it says is depot,his  mic says nothing BUT I think he went to France 13-08-14,this is why I would like to see his militia attestation, as a trained soldier he would have gone to war pdq.

just had a llook at the edge of BWM-VICTORYs stamped G LEWES,14 star G lewis,mic  spells  Lewis Gormer, SWB entitlement Lewis Gomer,so who knows ???

:poppy:

Edited by BIFFO

Hi Biffo,

FMP has a MH 106 record for a 7267 G Lewis. Welsh Regiment. I guess that it might be the same man. The record reads as:

First name(s): G

Last name: Lewis

Service number: 7267

Regiment: Welsh Regiment

Hospital: No 3 Casualty Clearing Station

Admission date: 30 Oct 1914

Ailment: GSW leg and ankle

Transfer date: 31 Oct 1914

Observations: To base

Regards

Chris

thanks for this Chris,will go with gomer Lewis,I have  been on a well know family research site and can only find wd for 2nd batt welsh reg starting  at 1917,which is of no use to my man as  he had joined been shot and left limping

:poppy:

Another well site has him on WO casualty list as G Lewis #7267 wounded, daily list 20/11/14 report recieved 6/10/14.

14 Star roll originally said Gorner Lewis but this changed to Gomer Lewis.

The well known site starting with A doesn't seem to locate his SWB, manual search for list J/748/1 (taken from MIC) doesn't have him on it.

Don't think he went to war 1924! MIC = 13/8/1914.

TEW

Gomer is usually a christian name Biffo.

49 Gomer Lewises born between 1860 and 1900.

But it did occur as a surname in the olden days.

One Lewis Gomer birth in the same time period.

Births Dec 1899   (>99%)
Gomer  Lewis    Cardiff  11a 351  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

On 12/03/2019 at 15:58, TEW said:

The well known site starting with A doesn't seem to locate his SWB, manual search for list J/748/1 (taken from MIC) doesn't have him on it.

He is the link   To the SWB record   on the well known site starting with A :thumbsup:

On 12/03/2019 at 15:58, TEW said:

Edited by RaySearching

Hi,

2 hours ago, BIFFO said:

been on a well know family research site and can only find wd for 2nd batt welsh reg starting  at 1917

I'm finding it difficult too. Whilst it's here at the National Archives, the nearest thing I could find on Ancestry is the 19 Infantry Brigade HQ diary which is here.

2 hours ago, TEW said:

Another well site has him on WO casualty list as G Lewis #7267 wounded, daily list 20/11/14 report recieved 6/10/14.

That would seem to indicate an earlier wounding. Might that perhaps explain why his medal roll record lists the 2nd Battalion twice - i.e. overseas with the 2nd Bn; wounded; posted back to the Battalion on recovery, then wounded again?

image.png.fe9566bd887af24685b8b9e3395210e9.png

Image sourced from Ancestry.co.uk

Regards

Chris

Thanks again Chaps  :thumbsup:

GWF member "Bob "sent me the militia attestation,he joined the 3rd batt 1902 for 5 years.Rejoined 2nd batt at the outbreak of war,shipped to France, he lived in the valleys,

Dairy for 2/Welsh is there (not 2/RWF??). As keyword search for piece number no longer seems to work to find it;

Browse for Welsh Regiment - 1st Division - Piece 1281.

His home address 1/1/1916 = 20 Victoria Street, (Caerau) Bridgend, Glam.

Possibly 1939 register; 11 The Parade, Porth, Rhondda.

Cyrmu1914 is a free website which may help.

Welsh Newspapers is another freebie. Could this be him?

TEW

THank you Tew,in the welsh papers sounds like him,

I have found him in wales census 1891,1901

then can find no trace after that,sim to probate lots of gomer lewis so will have to make a best guess.

I have westlakes battalions France/Belgium,thers a bit about them sailing from Southampton on SS Braemar castle landing La Havre  August then Sept,October where they were involved in heavy fighting at Gheluvelt where presumably Gomer wounded in the leg/ankle, must have been a bad wound as the army discharged him 31 December  16 presumably at Cardiff 9mindy barracks ?) awarded swb 431489

when involved in our 53rd division project I did use the welsh papers,very useful except when info written in welsh !!!:w00t:

Edited by BIFFO

Will have to dig out my copy of The History of the Welsh Regiment 1914-1918 , by Major General Sir Thomas O Marden.                             Bob2041956513_43112_1281_0-00029(2).jpg.6cd471a9ba5ded9589e1ddd559c39d21.jpg

Is this him being wounded?

CAERAU SOLDIER WOUNDED

CAERAU SOLDIER WOUIDED- PRIVATE GOMER LEWIS. Private Gomer Lewis, of the 2nd Welsh Regiment, was severely wounded on October 29th, and has been in Bournemouth Hospital ever since. His family reside at Caerau.

29 October 1914

" The attack of the Germans seems to have been expected on 29th October, and all the troops were ready, but as on many other occasions during the war, fog favoured the attacking forces,and since the trenches were not continuous, nor had they wire in front of them, the enemy,who attacked in great force,was able to get in between the posts, and even

established guns in the houses of Gheluvelt some 400 yards in rear. The attack was delivered at 5.30 a.m. on both sides of the Menin - Ypres road, and by 9.0 p.m. the positions of the1st (Guards) Brigade in that area had been surrounded , and their positions captured."

" The 2nd Welsh advanced between the Queen's on the right  and the S.W.B.on the left. "A" on the right of the Menin road, and "B" on the left of the road, "C" and "D" companies in support. As the Battalion advanced some of our troops could be seen retiring from Gheluvelt, the village and the main road west of it being heavily shelled."

"The counter attack on this day was a notable achievement, and showed fine handling and discipline The advance was made under heavy shrapnel fire and through a mass of stragglers , disorganised and disheartened  by a heavy attack."

Bob

Think the newspaper entry Dai put up in post #13 must be him. A Caerau address is given for him 1/1/16.

3CCS were based in 7 different buildings in Ypres when he was admitted 30/10/14 along with 473 others that day. The 3 field ambulances were on the move all day, being near Veldhoek, Gheluvelt, Ypres and just outside Ypres.

TEW

:thumbsup: