Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Fred Parkinson

Matt 71

Hiya

Im looking for info about Fred Parkinson he was from Sabden nr Burnley born 1886 in Nappa Yorkshire 

10 th battalion East Lancashire regiment 27690

13th battalion Essex regiment 32612

Also another number can’t see regiment 32501

enlisted 9/ 2/16 some faided records show him MIA 30/11/17 prisoner of war and released 27?  /2/18

theres no medal records.

He was my Great Uncle any info welcome

Thanks Matt

Edited by Matt 71

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Matt 71 said:

theres no medal records.

Yes there is - his MIC shows he was entitled to the BWM and VM.

His other number was TR/9/32501, allotted to him when he served with the 47th Training Reserve Battalion

Regards

Russ

German POW records are at

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/981450/3/2/

Enter each of the PA numbers in the box to see records. 

Taken prisoner whilst serving with B Company 13th Essex at Cambrai. Taken unwounded. Feb 1918 record shows him at the POW Camp at Le Quesnoy. The April 1918 record shows him at the Dulmen POW Camp in Germany. Dulmen is north of Dortmund and WSW of Munster in NW Germany.

You know from his papers he arrived back in UK 29/12/18.

Edited by Mark1959

Burnley Express 12.1.18. Does this refer to your ancestor?

parkinson.PNG

The 13th Essex War Diary is well worth a read. Available on ancestry but probably worth downloading from the national archives. You can only download a page at a time on ancestry. As his overseas service is effectively just with the Essex then I would pay the £3.50

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351979

There is a detailed report after the diary entriesfor Nov 1917. The report covers the 13th actions from 30/11/17 into early December. This refers to what individual companies were up to. So from POW records he was in B Company. So you can follow what that company were up to on 30/11/17. The battalion lost a lot of men during these operations. 16 killed, lots wounded and pushing 300 missing of whom your man would be one. 

Thanks Mark

I will get a copy of the war records. Do you know if this is The Esst lancs or the Essex regiment in the photo by any chance?

cheers

7597C419-C2BA-4852-8751-5F1F5AB83132.jpeg

E7E262C6-EF76-4A56-81DD-6647ADC1815B.jpeg

Can only go on cap badge

Essex

image.jpeg.136c48e3c32635a61d8623d297327497.jpeg

E Lancs

image.jpeg.bbc4c74dddc84fa2acb82226525b77d4.jpeg

If the original image is better than the posted one you might be able to definitively say, Personally, i think it is probably the chunkier Essex but other opinions welcome. Unfortunately they are very similar The soldier to the right of the officer as you look seems to have the flat piece below the sphinx at the top of the badge of the Essex. The wider top bit on the badges also favours Essex. But I could be wrong

Edited by Mark1959

Mark

The original is really faded I had to try and edit the photo to get it some bit like, I agree with you the cap badge does look chunkier,

many thanks 

Matt

Mark

The original is really faded I had to try and edit the photo to get it some bit like, I agree with you the cap badge does look chunkier,

many thanks 

Matt