Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1821 Pattern Artillery Officer's Sword?

mtaylor

I have a brass hilted 1821 pattern sword that I thought was an artillery officer's. It has an etched blade with the cypher of George V  BUT there are no artillery emblems. It has no maker's mark but the back edge has the serial 3333 and a faint 'British Make' mark. There is a brown leather scabbard. Did other corps use this pattern?  Any suggestions most welcome.

IMG_20190310_121456.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the Army Service Corps,  Army Ordnance Corps, Royal Engineers and the King's Own Poisoners use(d) the same pattern.

Edited by Gunner Hall
Corrected tense

• 3 weeks later...

thank you

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:25, Gunner Hall said:

I believe the Army Service Corps,  Army Ordnance Corps, Royal Engineers and the King's Own Poisoners use(d) the same pattern.

I tried to look up "King's Own Poisoners" on google but could not find anything.  Who were (or are) they?

Sorry,  It's a nickname we had for the Catering Corps.   The very poor joke was that they caused us more harm than the enemy did. 

Thanks for the reply, Gunner Hall.  It makes sense now.  My first thought was that it may have been a chemical warfare unit, but I thought that surely they would have been given a nicer sounding name.

• 3 weeks later...

We often referred to Catering Corps as the Fitters and Turners. Fit food into a pot and turn it into sh-t.

I would imagine this is far from original but what do you expect from damned colonials.

Original or not,  When i read your nick-name for our cooking brothers, I inhaled the contents of my tea mug. 

I'm a bit late - But best wishes and much respect to all Anzacs.  then and now.