Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Wales Borderers

Swann RAnger

Good morning,

I’ll be be going to Arras next week. Visiting High Wood, Gommecourt, Bullecourt & the Chemical works + Wancourt areas.

when I mentioned this at work a colleague told me about his Great Uncle who fell in Arras & that he’s name is on the Arras memorial.

I mentioned that I would be more than willing to visit the memorial and take a photo for him.

Which brings me to this post.

My Colleague told me his Grate Uncle was in the 2nd Battalion, South Wales Borderers, he fell on the 23 April 1917, his body was never found hence being on the Arras memorial.

Can someone shed some light as to where his battalion were in the line on the 23 April & where the identified of the battalion who fell on that day are buried.

If information can be posted I’ll visit & take photos of the area & his comrades final resting place.

Any help with the above would be very much appreciated.

Paul

Hi,

1 hour ago, Swann RAnger said:

where the identified of the battalion who fell on that day are buried.

A search of the CWGC site seems to give the names of 76 men from the 2nd Battalion who died on that day - all of whom are commemorated on the Arras memorial, with the exception of the following:

image.png.5c569bc4c281245ea962548969a1e9ad.png

Regards

Chris

Hi Paul, I have the Bn war diary, see attached photographs covering April 23rd until the end of the month. Bn was at Monchy Le Preux on April 23rd. My great grandfather was killed just outside the Chemical Works on May 16th 1917, he was with the 6th Bn Seaforth Highlanders. 

Ewan 

2B2D6098-A76D-4BD3-BFEE-4DA479AEC3DC.jpeg

9BC63F48-8A4B-473C-A410-E450C4FD0C64.jpeg

D7E956C9-7B93-402C-B480-BB29F640DF50.jpeg

What can I say I’m overwhelmed by the response in such a short time.

Eddie, Chris, Ewan & Bob your efforts are very much appreciated.

one last question on this topic, of the 76 men who were never identified, when the men were recovered in that area where would the bodies be laid to rest?

kind regards

Paul

Edited by Swann RAnger