Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Vivian Howell Mercantile Marine Medal

bern28x

I have identified a  Mercantile Marine Medal and War medal card  in the name of Thomas Vivian Howell

Everything is legible but what information  does it convey. His number was 204685.

I would be interested if at all possible to know what ship he served on.

I enclose the document in question. 

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thomas vivian Howells Marine Mercantile Medal.pdf

A CR10 Identity Card is available on Find My Past which has a photograph of TV Howell born 14 May 1900 in Cardiff described as an Apprentice.  The number 204685 is the CR10 number not his Discharge Book number.

He does not appear on any 1915 crew list, as he would have been only 15 at the time a bit young for an Apprentice though not impossible.  So he is either a Deck Apprentice or Engineer Apprentice. If the former, he does not appear to have pursued his career  at sea as he has no Board of Trade Certificates of Competency in his name, certainly in the 1939 register he is a General Store Manager.

Without the name of a ship it will be difficult to find where he served during the war, his CR10 does give 3 ships between 1919 and 1921, the Heronspool, Ennistown and Newtown, all tramp ships, a hard life for an apprentice which might not have appealed.

Other information from his medal card, in order to qualify for the War Medal he had to have spent 6 months at sea between 4 Aug 1914 and 11 Nov 1918 and to qualify for the Mercantile Marine Medal he must first qualify for the War Medal and then have completed at least one voyage through a Danger Zone, that was any port in the UK, France or the Mediterranean and other ports in the world as specified.  Men and women in the Merchant Service had to apply for their medals, they were not issued automatically, this he did on 5 Nov 1919 and he was issued with the medal ribbons on that date but had to wait for the medals until what looks like June 1921.

The attached picture of Heronspool will give you an idea of the type of ship on which he served.

Tony

Heronspool.jpg

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

The only other Howell, Thomas V I can find is in the Army (Royal Engineers) and joined in India (if I read the preview aright), so unless something very odd is going on, can't be him.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2977997

The Howell family tree is on Ancestry: 

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/?name=Thomas+Vivian_Howell&count=50&gender=m&location=3257.3250&name_x=s_1&priority=united-kingdom

"Spouse:      Violet Minnie Jesseman Spriggs

Father:       James John Howell

Mother:     Gwendoline Marie Edwards

Children:   Victor Edward

Birth:         14/05/1900 Cardiff Glamorgan Wales

Death:       27/03/1988 349 Green Lane, Small Heath, Warwickshire, England

Residence: 1939 Warwickshire England"

Kath.

His Mercantile Marine Service Card (National Archives BT350) showing his date and place of Birth, the Lloyds numbers for the ships he served on, plus a photograph of him, can be found on Finfmypast here
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=TNA/MSEA/BT350/11/95/119546&parentid=TNA/BT350/2130820967/1

Hope this helps.

Sepoy

NB I have just seen Tony has posted this information in post 2

Edited by Sepoy
I should have read the thread before posting!