Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tolkien - WW1 set biopic

Derek Black

It seems there's a Tolkien biopic on its way, set during the Great War with fantasy elements from his books playing a part in the scenes.

Trailer 1.

Trailer 2.

Edited by Derek Black

Lily Collins. Count me in!

She does look like Edith Bratt.

MV5BY2QxNjkxZTQtY2ZlNi00NzhmLWEzODItODAwNTEwYjU1NWZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_UY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

I keep hearing about Tolkien today.  Allegedly, when his son Michael enlisted in the army, he entered his father's occupation as 'wizard'.

Could be Baader-Meinhof effect, or perhaps the publicists pay people to post Tolkien 'facts'? Is Mr Black on the payroll? How can I get a piece of the action?

1 hour ago, Skipman said:

I thought Tolkien had a moustache?

Mike

You're not wrong.

250px-Tolkien_1916.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Tolkien estate seem to disapprove of anything they don't have a hand in, standard for them really.

They were dead against film or tv adaptions, then recently sold some tv rights....

Edited by Derek Black

But then they are real people and he was a real person, something which the rest of the world seems to have forgotten in the pursuit of fame and/or money. If they feel the film misrepresents him they're entitled to say so.

Wasn't he at Thiepval or one of the associated redoubts in the Autumn of 1916 with the Lancashire Fusiliers or am I thinking of somebody else ?

Edited by Hyacinth1326

According to 'The Guardian', the film has been disowned by both the Tolkien family and his literary estate.

Mike.

Wonder if John Garth (author of 'Tolkien and the Great War') said anything about it at the GW Conference.

11 hours ago, seaJane said:

Wonder if John Garth (author of 'Tolkien and the Great War') said anything about it at the GW Conference.

I don’t remember that he did, but undoubtedly someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:36, seaJane said:

But then they are real people and he was a real person, something which the rest of the world seems to have forgotten in the pursuit of fame and/or money. If they feel the film misrepresents him they're entitled to say so.

Indeed they are but Tolkien's Estate have always given the impression they want to control everything involving the author not just his published works and copyrights. 

On 07/03/2019 at 21:34, seaJane said:

You're not wrong.

250px-Tolkien_1916.jpg

Hi

'J.R.R. Tolkien' makes an appearance in episode 15 of series two of 'DC's Legends of Tomorrow'.  The episode is titled 'Fellowship of the Spear' (see what they did there?), the actor that plays him, Jack Turner, does have a moustache, despite the probable much lower budget.  Quite 'unhistorical' but at least they got the upper lip correct!

Mike

The Times on Saturday, gave it a very favourable review.

Mike.

Tottygraph wasn't impressed

21 hours ago, MikeMeech said:

the actor that plays him, Jack Turner, does have a moustache, despite the probable much lower budget.  

Mike

I'm on quite a low budget: moustache-growing is, indeed, a poor man's sport.

On 23/04/2019 at 12:33, michaeldr said:

It seems that the missing moustache is not all that is wrong with this production

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/apr/23/tolkien-estate-disavows-forthcoming-film-starring-nicholas-hoult

I understand from John Garth that the disavowal from the estate is simply a distancing from the production rather than any form of criticism.  John's comments however were rather more critical I am afraid - historical accuracy did not appear to get in the way of a good story (for a change).

Brian

On 29/04/2019 at 22:18, Pighills said:

I don’t remember that he did, but undoubtedly someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

See my comment!