Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval Observation Station, Helles

michaeldr

The IWM photograph (Q 13286) below appears in the British OH Vol.I, p.356/7. The senior naval officer is believed to be Admiral Nicholson and the captions describes the scene as

... coming from Naval Observation Station on forward slopes of Hill 114, Krithia Ridge in the distance.”

633793090_AdmiralNicholsonatNavalObservationStationHill114Helles.jpg.ce38639f8adfcc32f3d4a5d7848a03ef.jpg

The position of the illustration in the first volume of the OH suggests May 1915, and Hill 114 was recognised as a good vantage point at that time, being chosen as the spot from which Hamilton viewed the Second Battle of Krithia.

Elsewhere, there is a later reference to the Naval Observation Station being on Hill 138 at the time of Third Krithia (4th June 1915).

1] Did the position of the Naval Observation Station change, and if so when?   

2] Were there two Naval Observation Stations at Helles?

3] Or, is the OH's caption mistaken in identifying the site of the photograph as Hill 114?

Thanks for your interest

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Making some progress on this question and the following may be the explanation for the various references to at least two sites for the NOS at Helles

From The Naval Review, Vol.IV, H.M.S. AGAMEMNON IN THE MEDITERRANEAN

page 144 - Orders were received at 11 p.m. on the 11th [May 1915] that Brigadier-General Fuller, R.A., had taken over direction of firing of ships with the assistance of Commanders Collard, Douglas and Lieutenant Bent, at the Naval Observation Station.

page 148 - Anchored off Cape Helles at 1 p.m., [May 23rd] and landed to see General Fuller at the new observation station in the evening, the last one having had a shell in it. Found Commander Collard superintending the construction of his underground retreat.

Very possibly the second photograph above was taken at the new NOS

Edited by michaeldr

Michael, perhaps the caption in the Official History should be treated with caution. Hill 114 is not mentioned in the caption in the IWM (Q 13286) and King's College London (HAMILTON: 7/12/96) catalogues. It's possible the NOS was already at Hill 138, but had to shift position or rebuild.

I've been going through the 29 Division Headquarters war diary. I didn't find an explicit reference to an NOS on Hill 114. There is this entry however. On 3 May, there was a heavy battery on Hill 114 and the flanking wireless station was ordered from Y Beach to 'neighbourhood of Hill 114' for aeroplane cooperation, although this seems have been only temporary, an experiment. 

As you'd expect, in the latter half of May there are several accounts of shelling in the general area, bagging a few aircraft. On 20 May, two Ottoman heavy howitzers appeared, shelling the area north-east of Hill 138. On that score, I don't think you can rule either position in or out.

The Nicholson photo felt to me to be Hill 138 and I overlaid it on a panorama I took in September 2018. Achi Baba and the ridge match perfectly. I've done a few composites like this, and the Nicholson photo was a very easy match. However, the background features are flat on, and there are no features beyond Achi Baba that would shift left or right of that hill to confirm position. So I overlaid photos taken from left (one, two) and right (one) of Hill 138, to see if they also matched as precisely. It was very subtle, but their backgrounds were a bit out.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo from Hill 114. 

Q 13286 RearAdmiral Nicholson leaving NOS - Hill 138 - 2.jpg

Edited by b3rn

This may seal it. From 29 Div HQ war diary on 11 May 1915:

4.30pm. Orders issued by GHQ that the guns of the covering ships from tonight will be formed into a GHQ group under General Fuller, assisted by Naval officers with HQ at Hill 138. Assistance of ships may be demanded by Divisions, either from Hill 138, or from the flank observing officers in the case of flanking ships.

9pm. Arranged that French pass messages for cooperation of ships through station at Hill 138.

Hi Michael

Just to add to the previous posts there are one or two references to the Naval Observation Station in the CRA (GHQ) War Diary written by Fuller. From May the first being:

'I took control of gun fire of the covering & bombarding ships on land objectives. There were usually about five ships engaged daily on this duty. I lived with Rear Admiral on his flag ship at CAPE HELLES in order to maintain close cooperation between his Squadron & the force ashore. I established a Naval Observation on Hill 138 & was allotted a staff consisting of two naval officers & one midshipman as assistants. The aeroplane service at the advanced aerodrome at CAPE HELLES was also put under my control, aeroplanes coming daily from the aerodrome at TENEDOS.'

There is also a diagram of the communications in the diary that I photographed some time ago which may be of interest. If you need references or the other entries let me know.

Kind regards

Alan

NOS Communications Diagram.jpg

Bern & Alan,

Great to have your in-put here

Thanks for the montage and the diagram

All very impressive

Best regards

Michael