Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS

Helmia

Hi everyone, I am new here.  I am trying to learn more about the RNAS. My grandad George Parsons was a mechanic and I have just been given some photos of the planes he worked on. Is there anyone who can help with identifying them? Also there is an aerial photo and a photo of a boat sinking.  Did mechanics fly the planes ever?  Or travel on them?  Thanks

1 hour ago, Helmia said:

Hi everyone, I am new here.  I am trying to learn more about the RNAS. My grandad George Parsons was a mechanic and I have just been given some photos of the planes he worked on. Is there anyone who can help with identifying them? Also there is an aerial photo and a photo of a boat sinking.  Did mechanics fly the planes ever?  Or travel on them?  Thanks

Hi Helmia, and welcome to the Forum.  My grandfather was also an engine mechanic in the RNAS.  I'd be only too happy to help you with identifying these aircraft.  And if I can't, I'm sure someone on the Forum will be able to help.

There were indeed instances of mechanics going aloft - usually Chief Petty Officers, acting as observers in reconnaissance aircraft.  Seeing as you have posted this plea for help in Ships & navies, do I assume that your grandfather served on-board a vessel?

Peter.

Edited by pete-c

Helmia

Is that your GFs full name, just George Parsons ? I see a few service cards on the National Archives website, two of them are for a George, they are both from Sidmouth and both in the RNAS, latterly at HMS Daedalus. One born 1895 (service number F37115) the other 1888 (F33231).

Others are: George Thomas Parsons (Crawley 1895) George Ernest ( Hammersmith 1892) and Sidney George ( Swindon 1895).

Hello Helmia,

Like pete-c , my grandfather also served as a Air Mechanic in the RNAS on the Western Front

in 1Wing and then 1(Naval) Squadron. His main job was to service and repair the engines on the

aircraft, although my aunt told me that he had gone on raids in 2 seater aircraft as gunlayer and

bomber. I can't corroborate this though.

I would love to see your photos as would others on this forum, if you are able to post them here.

Also I suggest you move this topic to The War In The Air section where it would be seen by

experts on aircraft and the RNAS

Regards

Geoff

1 hour ago, sdparker said:

Also I suggest you move this topic to The War In The Air section where it would be seen by

experts on aircraft and the RNAS

Regards

Geoff

Good point Geoff.  Hopefully we shall hear back from Helmia soon.   

Cheers,

Peter.

• 1 month later...

I must apologise for not answering this earlier ( family illness).  Thank you so much for the replies.  I will try and move this to the War in the Air section now.  

Just to say yes my grandad was george Thomas Peter Parsons born Crawley 1884.