Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Admiral of the Fleet? Who?

GreyC

Hi,

this photo was developed in Wilhelmshaven, so I presume it was taken on a visit of a German warship in GB during the 1930s. Can anybody please identify the gentlemen in the photo. The first one could be an Admiral of the Fleet? The other two probably belonged to his staff?

Thank you very much!

GreyC

xAdmiralofFleet1930er.thumb.jpg.ee9dd41d598ca220d1f3078b62f0279f.jpg

Edited by GreyC

12 minutes ago, GreyC said:

The first one could be an Admiral of the Fleet?

If I'm not mistaken, the sleeve lace indicates (L to R) an Admiral, a Captain & a Lieutenant Commander

1 hour ago, michaeldr said:

If I'm not mistaken, the sleeve lace indicates (L to R) an Admiral, a Captain & a Lieutenant Commander

Man in front is a rear admiral, followed by a captain, and then a lieutenant-commander. In those days the space between the gold braid would have been coloured to show the speciality, but obviously this doesn't show up in black and white.

An Admiral, surely? With the Legion d’Honneur and Croix de Guerre.

Edited by Uncle George

Rear Admiral is one thick band and one other. He is a full Admiral - then Captain and Lieutenant Commander - as per Michaeldr's contribution 

Top of the 2 orders is the Royal Victorian Order

image.jpeg.095414b4f6cb012df8eeb67b3dffdb22.jpeg

The other is a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath

Image result for badges knight commander of order of the bath

Edited by Mark1959

…...a Knights Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order and a Knight Commander of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, which carries the Honour of Knighthood, the picture is taken in Portsmouth Dockyard that is the Lion's Gate behind them and the clock tower over No.10 store

Tony

I‘m pretty sure this is the occasion, 1934. One of the ships is the Königsberg. At about 4min 50 secs is a full shot of the Admirals face.

Charlie

The Admiral is the First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Ernie Chatfield.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernle_Chatfield,_1st_Baron_Chatfield

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernle_Chatfield,_1._Baron_Chatfield

The other ship in the newsreel is the Leipzig. The visit took place between 11th & 15th July 1934.

Edited by charlie2

It can't be Chatfield (whose WW1 connection was as Beatty's Flag Captain at Jutland). Chatfield had a KCMG, which would not have out-ranked the KCB (later GCB) which he held until 1934, and he only held a CVO. In any case, even the GCMG had a differently-shaped star.  The shape of the Grand Cross star rules out all the other chivalric Grand Crosses.

So, we are looking for someone who holds the GCVO and the KCB (even if later promoted to GCB). The only such admirals (or later Admirals of the Fleet) who meet these criteria and were alive in 1932 wre Jellicoe, Beatty, Sir Charles Madden and Sir Hubert Brand. The latter was C-in-C Plymouth and an Extra Equerry to the King but was only a KCVO in 1932. But the portrait on his Wikipedia page does not look much like the one in the OP.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

As Kelly was CinC Portsmouth 1934-1936 and we are looking at his turf, as it were, that's a pretty good shout by Uncle George.

Tony

I would go along with that.

Incidentally HMS Kelly, commanded by Mountbatten, was named after him.

Ron

One of his achievements was to sort out the mess after the Invergordon mutiny, in which he was critical of the Admiralty's handling of the pay-cuts issue. His face tells its own story!

Ron

He and his brother took part in the pursuit of the Goeben, each commanding a town class cruiser.

RM

37 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

He and his brother took part in the pursuit of the Goeben, each commanding a town class cruiser.

John Donald (known as Joe) Kelly took a short break from the war in early April 1915 to pop back from the Dardanelles to Malta to marry Maisie Kelly, the sister of Frederick Septimus Kelly, while the latter was with the Hood Battalion RND on the transport SS Grantully Castle in the Aegean. When the Dublin passed the Grantully Castle off Kapa Tepe on 28th April 1915, the Captain sent a semaphore message to ask if 'Sep' had got his letter from Malta, before the Dublin continued with her bombardment.

Good evening gentlemen,

thank you all very much for getting involved in identifying the admiral in question. From what I read here so far it seems that the biographical information and pictures for comparison put forward make a strong case in favour of Sir John Kelly who got his Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath on 3rd June 1929 before being promoted to full admiral on 12th Dec 1930. According to WIKIPEDIA  Kelly was appointed a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order on 13th July 1932. So the photo must have been taken after that date (thanks to Mark1959 for providing the info and photos) and before 3rd June 1935, the date he was awarded the highest class of the Order of the Bath (thanks Uncle George). He became C in C of Portsmouth (thanks for identifying the place Tony) in January 1935. The visit of the KÖNIGSBERG and LEIPZIG was, according to Charlie2 (also thanks) between 11th & 15th July 1934. So at that time he wasn´t C in C of Portsmouth yet, but that wouldn´t have prohibited him to pay his visit as full admiral in Portsmouth, I think.

Again, thanks to all who helped solve thispuzzle and who supplied additional information, much appreciated!

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

9 hours ago, GreyC said:

So at that time he wasn´t C in C of Portsmouth yet, but that wouldn´t have prohibited him to pay his visit as full admiral in Portsmouth, I think. 

In defence of my post GreyC, according to the Navy List  Sir John Kelly was appointed as CinC Portsmouth on 17 January 1934 so he held that appointment at the time of your photograph.  Glad your original question has been answered with the expected interesting debates along the way!

Tony

GreyC wondered about the identity of the gentleMEN in the photograph in the OP. The name of Kelly’s Flag Captain (if the Captain in that photo did indeed hold that appointment) and of the Lieutenant Commander remain unknown. 

The aiguillete worn by the Lieutenant Commander indicates I think that he was on the Admiral’s staff. Perhaps the Captain is wearing one on his right shoulder.

Thank you both, again. I would rather trust people here on the forum than articles on WIKIPEDIA. So I will take 1934 as the more likely date, especially when backed up by the navy list! Thank you for explaining that.

GreyC

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

GreyC wondered about the identity of the gentleMEN in the photograph in the OP. The name of Kelly’s Flag Captain (if the Captain in that photo did indeed hold that appointment) and of the Lieutenant Commander remain unknown. 

The aiguillete worn by the Lieutenant Commander indicates I think that he was on the Admiral’s staff. Perhaps the Captain is wearing one on his right shoulder.

…..he did indeed ask that question and it is remiss of us to leave him unfulfilled when the answer is readily to hand. I give you once again the July 1934 Navy List which probably is correct for the date of July 1934 though sometimes the list lagged behind a bit, but I'm almost sure Captain LDI MacKinnon and Lt.Cdr. CR Thompson are the men accompanying the Admiral. Lachlan Donald Ian MacKinnon is quite a chap but I will leave you to investigate his exploits at Jutland, Charles Ralfe "Tommy" Thompson was no slouch either

Tony

navy list 1934.jpg

Edited by MerchantOldSalt

Blimey that’s impressive stuff from Tony. Tommy! - WSC’s “Flag Commander” in the Second war.  I was about to post an anecdote about him, “inconsolable”, “lamenting as bitterly as Lord Ullin in the poem, but for different reasons” from ‘The Grand Alliance’; but I suspect the Mods would not approve.

I see he served in submarines during the First war.

Image from here:

https://ghgraham.org/charlesthompson1895.html

F7276352-806A-4B2B-BC76-92E2D41E2DB9.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George