Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TNA Service Record link - assistance please

Bardess

A W H ??????? appears on a very weathered stone Memorial in the grounds of St Mary's Church, Bearwood and A W H Alexander has been suggested. I have been trying to locate the Service Record on TNA under the SN LZ/697 [from CWGC] Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Only AB I can find in the RNVR with surname Alexander has SN KP/283.

Of those with LZ service numbers (the search calls up 11) most are Temporary Sub-Lieutenants, and none have that SN or that particular set of initials.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_p=1900&_q=LZ*+Adm

The Navy Lists during the war printed, from what date I haven't yet established, a list of "Officers and Men Killed in Action" (my emphasis). July 1918's issue on archive.org has this from p.217, including casualties up to the 18th June, 1918. But the volume for October 1918, although it has the same entry for p.217 in the index at the front, omits the list itself. I don't think it has been removed from the NLS copy as the pagination on p.216 is printed as "214-316."

Frustrating!

This very interesting.

He does appear in Find My Past but even armed with the information from fmp I cannot find him using the TNA search engine. FMP lists him as Z/697.

The obverse of the record  card is very faded, which may be why there is no index entry at TNA - all credit to the FMP indexer!. He was Arthur William ???? Alexander.

It is too late tonight, but if you can wait a day or so I will post a transcription of as much as is legible.

RM

I've been playing the wild-cards on TNA for all I'm worth and I still can't find him :) not even using Z/697.

The rating is Able Seaman Arthur William Henry ALEXANDER London Z/697, k.i.a. 28 Jun 1918 while serving in Hood Battalion RND.  Next-of-Kin & home address: Father, Robert, 16 Rosedale Rd., Little Thurrock, Grays, Essex. He is buried in Knightsbridge Cemetery, Mesnil-Martinsart.

He does not appear on the ADM 339 (RND) searches at TNA. He is probably one of the many scanning errors perpetrated at Kew when they copied these RND records.

The perfectly good original RND record cards, including Arthur ALEXANDER's, are in the archive of the Fleet Air Arm Museum but this archive is, for the foreseeable future, closed to enquiries. Try in two years time. Strange to relate, the Kew ADM 339 scans, with all the scanning errors contained therein, are now the official records. The original record cards, declared redundant, were saved from destruction by the FAA Museum.

Edited by horatio2

Thank you for putting me out of my agony at least, h2 :)

Thank you all for confirming that I wasn't losing my touch with TNA and I now only have another 41 A W H's to check out on CWGC  ^_^