Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Menin Gate Register.

Bob Coulson

Could someone with access to the register have a look to see if Captain Claud Gifford Jeffery, 2nd Yorkshire Regiment is listed on the gate.

He is buried in Ypres Town Cemetery but have recently read that he is also on the Menin Gate which would be rather strange.

Would be grateful if someone could help.

Bob.

Bob,

At first sight he is not in the register of the Menin Gate. However that doesn't mean automatically that he isn't on the Gate. The register only gives the theoretical composition. It happens regularly that the name isn't in the register anymore but still on the Gate for many years. Panels aren't changed that frequently.

Jacky

Bob

Your man does not appear in the 1981 edition of the Menin Gate Register.

There are a few cases of men appearing on a memorial and having a headstone. This is often due to them being 'missing' and hence put on the memorial but then later found and given a headstone. In these cases the memorial name would eventually be removed.

Also, there are examples of the good old simple clerical error!

Rats.. You beat me that time, Jacky

Terry, Jacky, Conor,

Thanks for the replies, I guess my best bet will be to have a look next time I get over, hopefully September.

If anyone's interested - On Mantanias famous painting of the 2nd Green Howards at the Nieuwe Kruisecke crossroads, Captain Jeffery is the wounded officer lying front right of the picture with Private Henry Tandy carrying his wounded comrade in front of the captain.

Bob.