Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary - 1st Garrison Bn. Royal Welsh Fusiliers?

Ken Lees

Can anyone tell me how to find the War Diary of the 1st Garrison Bn. Royal Welsh Fusiliers?

I have looked on Ancestry, but as a GArrison Battalion, I assume they weren't assigned to a Division, which Ancestry catalogues them under.

Is there another way?

• 1 month later...

I can't answer your question, but i have seen service records for several men. They were sent to Gibraltar not long after being formed.

Edit: It is noted that you have an interest in Charles Cairns (1869-1922) who was part of a batch of older men reenlisted in the South Wales Borderers who were transferred to 1st Garrison Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers on 11 August 1915 and were renumbered accordingly, his new number being 33621. It is very fortunate that his service records have survived.

Edited by Keith_history_buff
Note to self, topic has come up a few times

Ken,

I can only see war diaries listed for 2,4, 6 and 26 Garrison Battalions RWF (and their subsequent retitlings, about 7 diaries in all).  I suspect there wasn't one, though you can always ask the RWF Museum people via the Royal Welch Forum?

Clive

Edited by clive_hughes

Ken,

I cannot see anything in PRO for them, which I think Clive has already said

Julian

• Admin
13 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Was Gibraltar in a theatre of war?

If it wasn't perhaps there was no obligation to keep a war diary?

Gibraltar was not a theatre of war therefore as you say no requirement to keep a war diary.  The Battalion remained there throughout the war (LLT).

Syd Tyrrell in "A Countryman's Tale" spent two years there from December 1916 with the RGA he covers his own war service in a couple of sentences. "lovely sunshine by day and at night a blaze of lights on shore with searchlights lighting up the sea for miles around.  ...at the time it seemed like hard lines but looking back it takes the form of a very pleasant holiday in another land across the sea.*

Ken 

Edited by kenf48