Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map request

Chris Henschke

I am researching a raid conducted by 5th Aust. Inf. Battalion on 18/5/18. I have the raid orders and report but only a 1:10,000 (very bleary) sketch map.

Could someone possibly post an image of France Sheet 27 S.E., specifically X 20?

The raid took place in the vicinity of X.20.c.85.40.

The raid took place on the night of 17/18 May but the enemy trenches were empty, so they went back the next morning and got into a "fierce little fight" but came back with a shoulder strap marked 62!

What area is Sheet 27 S E and I will have a look on the trench map CD Rom tommorrow.

Hazebrouck is in the bottom left hand corner of it and it covers approx. 10miles north and east of the town. The area is to the immediate left of the Kemmel and Bailleul 1:10,000 maps and is covered by the Berthen, Meteren, St Sylvestre and Hazebrouck 1:10,000 maps

I don't have anything from sheet 27, so maybe the Cd will have what is required.

Dave.

I don't have anything from sheet 27, so maybe the Cd will have what is required.

It does.

here's X20....

Dave.

post-4-1106511420.jpg

...and here it is in relation to meteren...

post-4-1106511501.jpg

Thanks for the quick response by both of you blokes!

Exactly what I needed. I'll have to save up and get one of those CDs one day. This makes the raid come to life. Would you like me to post the raid orders, for interest sake?

best regards,

Chris

Extract from Intelligence Summary No. 34

17/5/18 to 18/5/18

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --

OPERATIONS.

Infantry. As the result of a reconnaissance made in the early morning, Lieut. N.S. MADDOX decided that the enemy manning the post at X. 20 c. 85. 40. could be captured or killed with ease. Having come to the conclusion he decided to act upon it. Under cover of flanking Lewis Gun fire and a barrage of No. 36 Rifle Grenades he with 3 O.R. managed to get within 30 yards of the hostile post. At 11.45 a.m. on a pre – arranged signal being given the Lewis Gun fire was switched to the left, thus cutting off the retreat of the garrison, the rifle grenade barrage ceased, and Lieut MADDOX with his party rushed the post. Then followed a fierce little fight. The post was occupied by 15 of the enemy. One of these immediately surrendered, but unfortunately his discretion availed him nothing as a stray bomb blew him up. Then, apparently, the rest of the enemy garrison collected itself and rushed Cpl. S. L. WILLIAMS, who happened to be the nearest of our party. This rush was stopped by the first man receiving a bullet in his stomach. This and other well directed shots discouraged the enemy who then scurried to the hedge which promised safety. Five of them were dropped by Lieut MADDOX and his men, before they reached it. And now was the opportunity of the flanking Lewis gun which was trained on this spot for just this chance. But unfortunately a stoppage chose to occur in the Gun just at this moment and thus the rest of the utterly scared and bewildered garrison unfortunately escaped. Thirty of the enemy then attacked our party, so Lieut MADDOX withdrew with his party intact. A shoulder strap marked 62 was secured from one of the dead Bosche. Casualties were inflicted on the advancing counter attack party of the enemy.