Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC/RAF Officer research help required

Depdogcov

I'm trying to piece together as much as I can regarding the military service of Jack Leslie Batstone with the RFC/RAF. Some kind members of the British Medal Forum have given me some assistance but I am not sure if there is much more I can hope to find. This is from his Air 76 service papers:

ResizerImage687X235.jpg.24cd14118324cd755f3d696769cd0606.jpg

It would appear he was only with 74 Squadron for 2 weeks  from 11/5/18 up until 28/5/18 including the 'Hospital' entry on 18/5/18. 

There is a casualty card for him here dated 17th May 1918:

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000236782-batstone-j.l

Unfortunately I have no idea what the annotation means. Would I be correct in thinking that 'Result of accident' being 'Discharged to Duty' indicates that he was initially considered fit to continue his regular flying duties but then after the 'decision of his case' he was transferred to the Admin Branch (Lt [A] to be Lt Admin Br wef 12 June 18 - London Gazette entry)?

Am I likely to find any additional details in the Air 27 No. 74 Squadron records?

He went on to be an officer in the cadet force so it would appear he still had a love of the RAF.

Any additional thoughts/info would be much appreciated but I suspect I may be ultimately frustrated.

Thanks,

Paul

I'd strongly suspect that this man has a WO 339 file (National Archives), which will give all the details of his medical history and usually much more - Medical Boards, decisions etc. His 74 Sqn history would appear to be shorter, at 11th to 18th May: in my experience he'd have spent the first few days on local orientation but may have flown more than a few combat sorties. Squadron records are always worth a look, because they usually record all individual flights and so will list those which this man undertook. I'd also take a look at any other squadron records (records of officers service, admin etc), which are also held for many units at the National Archives.

Can't read that Vault record but looks like he was at Etaples in hospital. Doesn't look to be a flying accident, and might be something like allergy to castor oil (engine oil - not uncommon), teeth, eyes etc. But I suspect it may also be something more social. WO 339 file will tell you for sure.

EDIT: just checked - his Long Service Papers are at TNA  - WO 339/125581

Edited by quemerford

Thank you quemerford, that has really helped. I will get hold of a copy of his service papers. He can’t have been too bad a boy as he was promoted Lt shortly after his return from France.

Paul,

NYD = Not Yet Diagnosed, so he's suffering from an illness of some sort. He's been admitted to No 24 General Hospital at Etaples on the 17th (report date 18th).

I've not come across NAD before.

Errol

Thanks Errol, I have been informed that NAD is “no appreciable disease”. Hopefully his service papers will reveal more. He spent a long time training to only be in the air for a few days.

Thanks for the NAD explanation, Paul, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Errol