Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Information on Allan Thompson Muir

Stacey2198

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find some more information on Allan Thompson Muir  Died at sea 1919, who was awarded the OBE & WW1 Croix de Guerre (1 bronze palm leaf).  He was a Merchant Seaman so I don't think there's Military records for him.  Is there a way to find out why he was awarded the medals?

Thanks

Stacey

LG for his OBE, nice reason for award: For valuable services in Command of Trawlers employed in specially dangerous operations https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31421/supplement/8067

His CdG  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30687/supplement/5861

You will notice no mention of Bronze Palm, this is standard with the LG, it is only when he received the certificate with the CdG, that mention of the attachment would be made.

I have added this to my database

Peter

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Stacey

He was commissioned as a Temporary Lieutenant in the Navy (an expert will advise whether RNR or RNVR) and his brief record can be found here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14632682 

There is a little more on him in this crew list (age and place of birth) which may help to track him down on family history sites http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14666895

Good luck with your research

David

Edit: Confirmed from Roll of Honour that he was RNR.

Edited by DavidOwen

• Admin

His Second Mate's ticket (image from Ancestry)

image.png.75f9d9637665b2fce263371a829f6884.png

As an aside it might be an idea to ask a MOD to move this thread into Ships and Navies as it will attract more experts who perhaps won't see it here in Medals. (To do this click on the "report post" on your first post and make the request under "other").

Interesting that the Scotland National Probate Index for 1920 and your post state he died at sea on 9 July 1919 yet the UK British Army and Navy Birth Marriage and Death record shows him dying at sea on 9 July 1920 from an overdose of Laudanum whilst Master of the SS Wotan,  he was certainly on the Wotan in April 1919 as it is shown on his CR10 Identity Card which you can see on Find My Past, it also has a photo of him.

What other information do you have concerning Captain Muir's death?

Tony

No it was this one Alf.  On the face of it and odds of three documents against one, it looks like 1919 is more likely. He is at the top of the left page

Tony

289176590_ATMuirDeath.thumb.jpg.ea7dd68423c830de3de6ea5b96c4c343.jpg

You have all been very helpful.  While I knew that he died at sea I didn't know the cause of death.  We've just had his medals restored so i was interested in any other info about them.  Thanks  Peter, (ForeignGong) for the links to his OBE & CdG.  Cutting German lines in the Straits of Dover, how impressive.

Thanks also Alf & Tony for the info.  I guess that's the thing with old written records, sometimes they get it wrong.  He almost certainly died in 1919 as his wife (my great grandmother) was pregnant at the time with their 3rd child.  It was a very tough time for her after this.  Unfortunately he died with an old will that left his estate to his mother.  She kept it all!  My GGM had to go to court to try and get something for herself and her children and managed to get some of the estate, but not all by a long shot.

It's also lead me to Find My Past which I hadn't used before.  I've been using My Ancestry.  I particularly enjoyed seeing the photo on his CR10 Identity Card thank Tony!

Once again your help has been wonderful and my appreciated

Did he have any connection with the Kilmarnock-Newmilns-Galston area of Ayrshire?

Mark

15 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Did he have any connection with the Kilmarnock-Newmilns-Galston area of Ayrshire?

Mark

Not that I know of Mark

Probably not a relation of mine then - we have a lot of Allan Muirs in the family and links by marriage to Thompsons.  All in Ayrshire, Galloway and Dumfriesshire though.

Mark