Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recognize this uniform?

August Lashley

Hi, I am trying to locate my Great Grandfather's British Military history.  He was born in 1902 and name was Harold Rupert Wood, the only records I can find in the name are for 1914 which he would of  been too young.  Not another trace.  Does anyone recognize this uniform, time period, unit or any details?  This photo, along with stories that he spent some time in India, is all I know.   I arrume he served between 1918 to 1932 time range, but not certain.   Thank yo in advance for any advice you have!

Harold Rupert Wood.jpg

54 minutes ago, August Lashley said:

Hi, I am trying to locate my Great Grandfather's British Military history.  He was born in 1902 and name was Harold Rupert Wood, the only records I can find in the name are for 1914 which he would of  been too young.  Not another trace.  Does anyone recognize this uniform, time period, unit or any details?  This photo, along with stories that he spent some time in India, is all I know.   I arrume he served between 1918 to 1932 time range, but not certain.   Thank yo in advance for any advice you have!

I think he is Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) wearing the first design of cap badge, around 1941, when it was formed from trades extracted from other corps.  That fits too with the pattern of cap and greatcoat.

DE244B12-29CF-4A2E-8070-B6637F1AC9EA.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think he is Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) wearing the first design of cap badge, around 1941, when it was formed from trades extracted from other corps.  That fits too with the pattern of cap and greatcoat.

DE244B12-29CF-4A2E-8070-B6637F1AC9EA.jpeg

Thank you very much!   I do see the resemblance in the cap badge,   If this was only formed in 1941, I am afraid he would of already been out of the military, however?   Although, I do not know when he "joined', I have every reason to believe he was a civilian by 1933.   Thoughts?   Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer.

It’s just the cap badge that I relate to 1941.  The other aspects of the uniform would be fine for the 1930s.  Perhaps I have the badge wrong.  Others may have a better view on a pc screen, I am observing on just a phone screen.

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 minutes ago, Wardog said:

Perhaps Royal Army Ordnance Corps? Regards, Paul.

I think zooming in I agree with Paul, RAOC, I can see the board of ordnance shield in the middle and the scrolls.

Chris

0aayzhghjgfjhf9999856_2.jpg

Another +1 for the RAOC here.

4 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

Another +1 for the RAOC here.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer!   Now for finding out more info on his service!   Any tips on getting this information without taking the months to submit for his military records?  

• Admin

If he was born in 1902, he did not serve in the Great War, so we are off topic here. This post should be in Skindles, but August would not be able to access it. I suggest further posts are carried out via PM. 

Michelle

• Michelle Young locked this topic
  • Admin

This is how to apply for records, no instant answer I'm afraid. He may well have enlisted during the conscription time of the Great War, as a boy soldier, as he would have been 16 in 1918. As photos show, he served post Great War so you will have to access his records. 

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

cost is £30 for records

You mentioned elsewhere you have his medal, can you post details of this please? 

• Michelle Young unlocked this topic