Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Other Ranks , W.V Tilsley

Black Maria

Just noticed that this classic memoir is going to be reprinted and due out on 1st April 2019 . It's got an introduction written by Tilsley's great nephew

and relatives of two others who appeared in the book . Apparently it's going to be in hardcover , which is good news and priced at £14.99 ( Amazon ).

I wonder if one or two of the ultra rare original editions my now appear as usually happens when a rare book is reprinted , I doubt however that they will

command the huge prices that they did before the reprint . It will be interesting to see what the new dust jacket design will be like , this is the original 1931

edition -

other ranks jacket forum.jpeg

purchased an original 2/3 months ago

36 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

purchased an original 2/3 months ago

It's started then , soon we'll be knee deep in original copies :whistle:

11 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

It's started then , soon we'll be knee deep in original copies :whistle:

only about the 3rd original i had seen in 20 years 

23 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

only about the 3rd original i had seen in 20 years 

Yes, I think I've only seen about three since I've been collecting ( 20 yrs )

Bought mine from John Marrin at the Chelsea Bookfair some 15 years ago. I think it was £85 with jacket. Might buy the new one just for the new introduction. Good to see it’s being reprinted at last.

23 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Bought mine from John Marrin at the Chelsea Bookfair some 15 years ago. I think it was £85 with jacket. Might buy the new one just for the new introduction. Good to see it’s being reprinted at last.

Got my first copy from Marrin's catalogue for £65 , the jacketed one cost me about £300 but I did get £200 for my other copy . I will be buying a copy of the

new one because it's my favourite memoir and the new information should be interesting . It is good to see it reprinted as it will give others a chance to appreciate

it's quality . I'm also glad it's in hardback format and not a flimsy paperback.

30 minutes ago, other ranker said:

I bought mine 20 years ago for £4!

That was a bargain !

I hadn't heard of it before buying it. I remember thinking it was a really well written book at the time. It's only in the last few years that I have learned it's a classic to many people. Relish the read when you buy it folks!

Looks to be a probable purchase. The article refers in passing to Guy Chapman's 'A Passionate Prodigality', which is also slated for reissue in the next couple of months. I have a paperback reprint from the late '80s which I will be replacing with the new version. 

4 hours ago, Black Maria said:

This is an interesting article about the book, for those who have not already seen it https://neglectedbooks.com/?p=33

Thanks for the link, John (they seem to have used my copy for the image). Do you know if they have pages for other WW1 books?

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Thanks for the link, John (they seem to have used my copy for the image). Do you know if they have pages for other WW1 books?

I've not come across any Alan , but they say they have thousands of neglected books listed on their site .

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:42, Dust Jacket Collector said:

The image of your jacket has also just appeared under the new book title on the Amazon site for some strange reason.

4 hours ago, Black Maria said:

The image of your jacket has also just appeared under the new book title on the Amazon site for some strange reason.

Maybe I should sue them for $100 million.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Maybe I should sue them for $100 million.

Oh yes , at the very least .

• 3 months later...

Received my copy today and I'm very impressed with it's quality . The jacket has a reproduction of the original front cover and nicely designed endpapers and

lots of new material , including a photo of the author .

other ranks jacket forum (new).jpeg

Edited by Black Maria

• 3 weeks later...

With a couple of old threads reopened about this classic book I thought it may be of interest to post an image of the inside blurb which appeared on the

original jacket .

other ranks flap 2 forum.jpeg