Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Ribbon - please help!

Majordecor

Message for All Experts.

23 January 2005.

Re: Arthur William Channon MAJOR. Born Jan 16 1894.

Dear Experts,

At end 2004/beginning 2005, I received a great deal of help from your Forum colleagues, namely: Tim D (Blackblue); Ian (kpm); Steve Chilton; Dick Flory; Steve (Glosters).

Tim D suggested I contact you about AWCM, who would have been my father-in-law had he been alive, to try to sort out his medal awards. I am sending a photograph as an attachment to this message. We think it was taken in 1943.

William Spencer at The National Archives identified his ribbons as:

MC and 2 bars; 14/15 Star; BWM; Victory Medal; 1939-45 Star; France and Germany Star; Order of St. Anne with crossed swords; Order of St. George.

AWCM was at Archangel between 1918 and 1920.

His brother, Reginald George Lockyer MAJOR was also there as ADC to General Ironside. Your colleagues identified St. Anne + crossed swords and St. Vladimir for him from Brough's book.

The Russian Medal Page: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Zone/5733/medals.html seems to confirm the last two ribbons.

For AWCM, your colleagues have dated MC and one bar but not the second and have found the St. Anne with swords but not the Order of St. George.

Tim D thought his ribbon ident was consistent with William Spencer's.

Steve Gloster found LG appointment IARO 22 July 1921 and LG 26 April 1929 as Captain in Gold Coast Defence Force.

AWCM's Officer Release Book shows Personal No. 43949, Lt. Col Royal West Africa Volunteer Force. Stamped Sept 1948.

Dick Flory and Tim D both referred to a "Confidential List" re Russian awards. I went to Nat. Archives and no-one knew what I was talking about.

I do hope you can help re 2nd bar to MC and Order of St. George as well as anything else you might come up with. AWCM's widow is still alive and lives with us. She is almost 79 now and was 32 years younger than AWCM.

Best regards,

George Major.

post-23-1106488431.jpg