Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC and its "Lest we forget" roadshows

Keith_history_buff

I am going to start of on a bit of a whiny tip.

FB post encountered on 10 February at about 2300hrs, and which I advised to two friends who live near Gosport. They both responded - "If only we had known sooner"

https://www.facebook.com/commonwealthwargravescommission/posts/10156204789516094?__tn__=K-R

https://www.cwgc.org/lest-we-forgetThe "lest we forget" URL which I discovered today, mentioning a roadshow in Portsmouth tomorrow. I can imagine their response will be similar to the above.

This is a great idea, but it doesn't seem to have got much publicity.

UPCOMING EVENTS:

If you have a First World War story or object you would like to be preserved in our online archive, you can come to one of our volunteer-led local Collection Days or regional Roadshows near you:

Portsmouth Upload Day, Portsmouth High School – 10am-4pm, 20 February 2019
Online Training Session – 10am-12pm, 22 February 2019

Mackie Academy, Stonehaven - 10am-12pm, 23 February 2019
The Lee Parish Hall, Buckinghamshire – from 10am, 23 February 2019
Gordon Highlanders Museum, Aberdeen - 10am-4.30pm, 27 February 2019
London Training Day, Friends House, Euston – 10am-2:30pm, 1 March 2019
University of Plymouth, Devon – 2-6pm, 6 March 2019
St Helen’s Church, Worcester – 10am-2:30pm, 15 March 2019
Ashleigh Primary School, Wymondham, Norfolk – 11am-3pm, 23 March 2019
Williton Pavilion, West Somerset – 10am-4pm, 6 April 2019
Dorking Museum, Surrey – 12-4pm, 4 May 2019

• 2 weeks later...

I was involved with the 'lest we forget' event in Bradford on the 9th February, which I think was the only one in the north of England. It was very well organised and a large number of people attended even from as far away as Liverpool and County Durham. An astonishing range of artefacts were brought and each was meticulously recorded and photographed. I suspect that the CWGC were actually rather surprised at the level of local interest in this event.  

Edited by ilkley remembers

Third time lucky. I'll pass this on to two people in Portsmouth that will be amazed that I am giving in excess of 24 hours notice.

Thank you Jane!

The one catch is that you need a ticket for the museum/s. i do acknowledge the ticket is then valid for a year of visits.

Yes, I only just noticed that myself. Still, they can get into a lot of places with the ticket I think.

I am currently in the process of organising a few more of these events on behalf of the CWGC.

So far the areas I am organising events for include Winchester, Bournemouth/Poole, Farnborough/Aldershot, Fareham and Chichester. These are areas I am regularly around and I'm looking to hold them in around May time. I would be happy to look into more locations in the south if the demand is there. 

Disclaimer - I am doing this on a volunteer basis and do not work for the CWGC etc. 

Best,

Elliot

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for posting this. I think there is interest in these events, as long as there is communication via the right channels - GWF is ideal, of course - and that people are given enough notice to be able to attend. Sharing information on an event the day before, via a special interest facebook group with several members is not what I would call exemplary marketing.

Thank you for the time you are giving up as an unpaid volunteer, to keep this worthwhile initiative going. 

Best wishes
Keith