Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Battalion KOYLI & Welch Regiment (Cardiff city battalion)

GMB

Private Thomas John Conway

I’m currently looking into my great grandfather & over the past 18 months have come across a lot of information, including him winning the MM, showing in the gazette on 19th Nov 1917.

It is from a press cutting that mentions he joined the KOYLI in 1914 for 2 years before moving to the Welch Regiment that has thrown up a number of questions. From find my past it shows his service number as 19486 & 648453 (reg no 12/896) for KOYLI & 32514 for the Welch.

Does anyone have any additional information and/or links to the war diaries of the 12th battalion please? I have done a few google searches etc but if someone has specific info or could help that would be great. 

From archive ref WO 372/4/235134 I seem to have 6 different entries which are closely dated and it has confused me a treat!!!!!

The data you post comes from 2 Medal Index Cards and look to me like two different soldiers, both shown as J Conway.

19486 is for KOYLI and 648453 is for Labour Corps, so this soldier seems to have transferred to Labour Corps at some time. First landed in France 5.10.1915. Discharged 10.3.1919.

32514 Welsh (and only Regiment) first landed in France 4.12.1915. Discharged 19.2.1919. Won Military Medal with 16 Battalion.

You seem to have received a MIC microfiche from digital archives with 6 different soldiers on it, this was how they were stored pre-digitisation if I remember rightly.

According to Medal Rolls 19486 KOYLI was with 10 Battalion on landing in France on 5.10.1915. Later service with Labour Corps has no unit shown.

War Diary for 10 Battalion KOYLI:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353177

Edited by sotonmate