Serjeant ALLOTT, A

Service Number 13548

Died 26/03/1918

Aged 26

16th Bn.
Manchester Regiment

ST. SOUPLET BRITISH CEMETERY

Cemetery/memorial reference: I. H. 18.

Suggest you put cemetery name  in the title too , someone may live nearby that would otherwise not look at the thread with just his name etc 

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi Peter,

It looks like British War Graves (link) might be in a position to help.

It seems that Arthur died (non specified cause) in the care of a German field hospital (link).

Regards

Chris

Thanks but I need a photo free of copyright restrictions

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/02/2019 at 18:50, clk said:

Hi Peter,

It looks like British War Graves (link) might be in a position to help.

It seems that Arthur died (non specified cause) in the care of a German field hospital (link).

Regards

Chris

Just opened the link to the POW records, I know he was involved in the defence of Manchester Hill and buried by the enemy in St Martin Cemetery, Saint-Quentin. He was moved to St. Souplet in 1923.

Thanks for your help Chris. 

Soldiers Effects records also show he died in a St Quentin Hosp. Mother Sarah Ann. £16 10s W Gratuity.  Overseas Gallipoli with 11th Bttn 16/10/1915 & served with 12th Bttn before 16th.  11th Bttn was a K1 Service Bttn and I don't see that many examples of these men transferring to the former City Battalions.  Wounding & capture at Manchester Hill 21st March 1918 makes a lot of sense.

I'll pass the details to the http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php

There is an extensive POW database that omits Arthur's details.

• Admin

Peter, can't say 100% for certain that I could get it, but might be going that way in April.

Can  you PM me week commencing 15th to jog my memory please?

Michelle

21 hours ago, Peter Bennett said:

I know he was involved in the defence of Manchester Hill

Peter,

Is there some evidence to place him with D Coy on Manchester Hill please? Or do you mean he was with the the Bn on the 21st March and in the surrounding area. So far we (the Manchesters forum) have been unable to allocate him to a particular company. 

Thanks

Charlie

17 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Peter,

Is there some evidence to place him with D Coy on Manchester Hill please? Or do you mean he was with the the Bn on the 21st March and in the surrounding area. So far we (the Manchesters forum) have been unable to allocate him to a particular company. 

Thanks

Charlie

I may have been presumptuous in actually putting him on the Hill itself but he was captured and died in a German Field Hospital on the 26th according to the POW record which I found thanks to the link supplied by Chris. My thinking was if he was in the reserve company or behind the lines he would have had the chance to escape during the retreat.

Edited by Peter Bennett
typo

1 hour ago, Peter Bennett said:

I may have been presumptuous in actually putting him on the Hill itself but he was captured and died in a German Field Hospital on the 26th according to the POW record which I found thanks to the link supplied by Chris. My thinking was if he was in the reserve company or behind the lines he would have had the chance to escape during the retreat.

Many thanks Peter.

Pleased to report that I have obtained a photo of his grave from the "In Memory" website of Pierre Vandevelden

I found this article in the Dewsbury District News 28th September 1918

Arthur Allott News Article.jpg

Edited by Peter Bennett
typo