Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some 'new' S.98/05's

trajan

Been a while since I posted any newly acquired bayonets - but there again with regard to Imperial German ones, it is not easy to find anything here other that Waffenfabrik Mauser ones made in 1917.

But a few have popped up to fill the gaps in my collection of 98/05's - but don't get too excited, as the condition is pretty poor! In all honesty more-or-less what many of my finds are like, and if it wasn't for the fact that beggars can't be choosers, well...

First up, a Gottlieb Hammesfahr... There is a mark on that crossguard, but I haven't quite worked it out yet - on the wrong side anyway to be a German mark (unless Weimar!)

GOTTLIEB H A.jpg

GOTTLIEB H B.jpg

GOTTLIEB H C.jpg

Here is a Simson a.A., which I suspect I may have posted before, or at least commented on, as it came with what is clearly a modern reproduction scabbard! Alte Arte examples are even harder  to come by here than 'any other type except a WFMauser'!

SIMSON A.jpg

SIMSON B.jpg

SIMSON C.jpg

And now a WFM dated 1916 with a very sorry-looking scabbard and with replacement grips! I wondered if it was Polish, but no Polish markings, and in any case those 'screws' are clearly not screws. I only bought this sorry looking specimen because of its date, so I could get its vital statistics - weight, dimensions, etc. 

WFM 1916 A .jpg

WFM 1916 B.jpg

And all for now, a really rough Weysersburg Kirschbaum a.A., 1915, to go with my Weysreburg Kirschbaum n.A. Again, it was being an a.A and a reasonable price for Turkey (TL 650) that persuaded me to get it. But what also attracted me was the clear indications from the corrosion pattern of how a lesser quality steel was used for the crossguard compared to the blade. The only published specifications for the metalwork used for a 98/05 are for Haenel, and they do indicate this.

WK 1915 A.jpg

WK 1915 B.jpg

WK 1915 C.jpg

Forgot to put up the date for the Gottlieb - well, no cypher, no date, just a fraktur, but this particular three-line stamp is found on 1916-dated examples.

Also forgot to date the Simson - W/15.

Just noticed, on the balcony with the setting sun and an aperitif, that the WFM has a WFM scabbard! Indentations just visible benath all that crud... Now, how to clean... I don't normally clean my bayonets or scabbards beyond a wipe over, but this one...

DSCN2457 gwf.jpg

Julian,

Many thanks for your interesting post;  I look forward to seeing your Weyersberg aA Trans. once you find one!

However, your "Weyersberg" above got me thinking about what I have.  I attach photos of a couple in my collection which may be of interest?  The WK & C 98/05 nA S dated 15 Carter doesn't list in Vol.I. but it is mentioned in the additions section in Vol lI.  I can't find the W & Co. 98/05 nA dated 18 listed at all but I probably missed it somewhere.

Michael.  

DSC04655.JPG

DSC04656.JPG

DSC04657.JPG

DSC04658.JPG

That's Great Michael, 2 bayonets showing different Stampings for same maker, I think Mauser had several, but in collecting, it helps make pieces more interesting

Hey Julian, those replacement grips are not what a collector wants to see, but they DO LOOK NICE and FANCY!! At least they did not put plain or crappy grips on😕

6 hours ago, trajan said:

Just noticed, on the balcony with the setting sun and an aperitif, that the WFM has a WFM scabbard! Indentations just visible benath all that crud... Now, how to clean... I don't normally clean my bayonets or scabbards beyond a wipe over, but this one...

DSCN2457 gwf.jpg

Julian

Try to put it all in coca cola and let it inside the coca cola for 2 hours.

Then wipp it softly. 

You will be amazed on how the coca cola is removing the rust from iron. 

Regards

D. 

14 hours ago, Michael Haselgrove said:

..  I attach photos of a couple in my collection which may be of interest?  The WK & C 98/05 nA S dated 15 Carter doesn't list in Vol.I. but it is mentioned in the additions section in Vol lI.  I can't find the W & Co. 98/05 nA dated 18 listed at all but I probably missed it somewhere.

Many thanks Michael! I have only listed unit-marked examples of 98/05's to get some idea of who had what and when - following in AJC's footsteps there. But what did surprise me, although I half-expected it, was the great number of unit-marked 98/05 m.S' that survive relative to the number of unit-marked 'plain' 98/05 , suggesting these sawbacks were deliberately collected as trophies or whatever in preference to plain ones

13 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

That's Great Michael, 2 bayonets showing different Stampings for same maker, I think Mauser had several, but in collecting, it helps make pieces more interesting

Hey Julian, those replacement grips are not what a collector wants to see, but they DO LOOK NICE and FANCY!! At least they did not put plain or crappy grips on😕

Two different makers Steve! Lots oif Weyersburg's around, and the second one is from a branch of the Gebruder Weysersburg that set up around 1902.

You are right about those grips though. They are very neatly filed and smoothed down, although in doing so the person who did it unfortnuately took some of the patina off the crossguard and pommel. One part of me says "Replace!", another says "Part of its history - leave alone!"

Edited by trajan

13 hours ago, zuluwar2006 said:

Julian

Try to put it all in coca cola and let it inside the coca cola for 2 hours.

Then wipp it softly. 

You will be amazed on how the coca cola is removing the rust from iron. 

Regards

D. 

I have heard of that method but never tried it This scabbard looks to be a suitable test piece. And if it works I can show it to my two boys to explain what coca cola might be doing to their insides! They are only allowed it on holidays in any case...

Julian