Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

93rd Field Company Royal Engineers

Woodsc

Hello

Could anyone please suggest any sources of reference information relating to the 93rd Field Company Royal Engineers other than the war diaries.

I am trying to build up information on a soldier who died September 16th 1916 (Bayencourt) while working in trenches. The war diary does not give a lot of detail and I am trying to conclude if he may have died from shelling etc ?

Any guidance appreciated

Thank You

Colin 

Colin

Nothing in the WDs of the CRE 17 Div or the 17 Div HQ General Staff to indicate any shelling on 16/09/1916. If your man is 59528 Herbert C Poole SDGW records that he died of wounds and the RSE records that he died in action on 16/09. He may have received the wounds that proved fatal earlier. Your best bet would be the local papers for Sutterton, Lincs where he resided on enlistment. There may be a report of his death. Try Boston library history centre or local studies. 

Brian

You might like to trawl the diaries of the battalions in 52 Brigade with whom 93 Coy RE were "brigaded".  Between 13 and 19 September "every available man in the brigade was employed daily on working parties for the RE...…." [in preparation for offensive action in the Hebuterne sector].  (brigade diary).

Max

10 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Colin

Nothing in the WDs of the CRE 17 Div or the 17 Div HQ General Staff to indicate any shelling on 16/09/1916. If your man is 59528 Herbert C Poole SDGW records that he died of wounds and the RSE records that he died in action on 16/09. He may have received the wounds that proved fatal earlier. Your best bet would be the local papers for Sutterton, Lincs where he resided on enlistment. There may be a report of his death. Try Boston library history centre or local studies. 

Brian

Hi Brian

Thanks for your reply.

This is a bit of a grey area at the moment. Yes the soldier you have identified is the man I'm looking at.

I am currently trying to research those remembered on the Alkborough (Lincolnshire) War Memorial and two of the soldiers are proving a little difficult to identify.

The two soldiers in question are Harry (Harold) Poole and Sidney Clarke both serving with the Royal Engineers. I have checked the CWGC site and only Harold Coding Poole 59528 and Sidney Clarke 136541seem to flag up. Obviously you have identified Harold (Herbert?) residing in Sutterton Lincs which poses the question why did he end up on the Alkborough Memorial my thoughts are he could he have been an Agricultural Labour working in the Alkborough area away from his birth location

I have attached a Roll of Honour which hangs in Alkborough Church which lists the two soldiers in the RE

I would be interested in your thoughts

Colin

Alkborough memorial resize.jpg

Roll of Honour.JPG

Colin

My mistake it is Harold not Herbert. Always difficult researching names that can be spelt two ways. I still think local papers are the best bet. Sidney Clark 136541 was from Suffolk and the RSE records that his mother's name was Emma. Possible match on the 1911 Census at 35 Duddary ? Rd, Haverhill which shows Sydney with a y age 8 and mother Emma age 49. 

Brian

EDIT: I see what you mean. I have found all the names on the War Memorial apart from Sidney Clarke and Harry Poole. They all served in the Lincolnshire Regt. (My grandfather who was captured at Loos on 26/09/1915 with 8 Lincs probably knew Frederick Pickup 12497 of 8 Lincs who was k in a on that day). I am struggling with the RE names on the ROH however but William Escreet 231592 has a service record. He was from Northumberland but married Elenor from Arkborough nr Doncaster. Harold Ellenton was 35140 RE. He has a service record under Harold Ellerton but the name Ellenton is correct. I will do some checks on the others.

EDIT 2: I do not think that the Harold C Poole on SDGW is the man on the Alkborough Memorial. I also think that Sidney Clark MAY be 162770 Dvr W S Clarke who was k in a on 30/09/1916. He has Doncaster and Scunthorpe connections.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

162770 is commemorated on CWGC as C Clark, wife N Brown remarried and lived in Messingham.   His medal card and medal roll are Charles W S Clarke.  Soldiers' Effects has him as Charles W S Clark of 106 Field Company RE widow Nellie. 3 variations of name but no Sidney among them.

Max

9 hours ago, MaxD said:

162770 is commemorated on CWGC as C Clark, wife N Brown remarried and lived in Messingham.   His medal card and medal roll are Charles W S Clarke.  Soldiers' Effects has him as Charles W S Clark of 106 Field Company RE widow Nellie. 3 variations of name but no Sidney among them.

Max

Thanks Max

It was the nearest I could find but I was not confident. I will keep on looking. These Memorials can often be inaccurate. The Bolton Artillery Cenotaph has the name J Clive which should be J Olive (who was accidently killed in training in Southport in October 1915). I have often thought that with one swipe with my Dad's hammer and chisel I could turn the C into O.

I think the best chance of resolving it is in the local papers for Alkborough which may be in Scunthorpe library local studies.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547