Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

161 Siege Battery position 28.N.20.d.2.5.

Skipman

During the Battle of Polygon Wood October 1917, the 161st Siege Battery, 51st Heavy Artillery Group, IX. Corps &later  VIII. Corps Second Army, were at Little Kemmel (N.20.d.2.5.). Am I correct that that is Sheet 28 so the coordinates would be 28.N.20.d.2.5. which I make as 50.78106 2.815128 (Attached screenshot of position on google earth)

Does that look correct and were Siege Batteries really 8 miles away from the area they were shelling, or have I gone wrong somewhere?

Mike

temp Forum 51 HAG position Battle of Polygon Wood.PNG

Edited by Skipman

3 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

You're right Mike it is sheet 28 and the 161st were equipped with 9.2" Howitzers so that's well in range

J

Many thanks Jon. I'm at the beginning of my Siege Battery learning curve and hadn't realised they were quite so far back.

interesting clip of a 9.2" howitzer in action' Is the caption wrong or did the RFA also have 9.2" howitzers?

Edited by Skipman

Maximum range for a 9.2" How. MkII was said to be 7.9 miles (13935 yds).

So at first glance it looks as though they might just be dropping short.

But is the Kemmel co-ordinate for 51HAG HQ.

The SBs were usually well in advance of HQ.

Just now, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

But is the Kemmel co-ordinate for 51HAG HQ.

The SBs were usually well in advance of HQ.

That's a good question Dai. there is no diary for 161st SB, the nearest I have is the 51 HAG diary. I will see if can find any other coordinates.

Mike

whoops, that's what happens when I do maths in my head....

Mike thats a badly titled movie, the original is here at the IWM, as you can see the 9.2 is not really that mobile for the RFA who did use the much more mobile 4.5" Howitzer.

J

My GF was a cat driver in MT ASC, attached to 264SB in 1917. 264 were in 51HAG in September, his company, 717MT Coy were 9 Corps Siege Park.

On 10/9/17, 51HAG HQ was at 28.N.20.d.2.5 , the same co-ordinate that you quoted above as their location in late September/early October.

On 8/9/17, IX Corps Advanced Cat. Park was at  28.N.16.b.85.30, some 2700 yards to the North east, between Kemmel and Vierstraat.

On 6/9/17, 264 SB were at 28.O.13.b.5.2 , 1100 yards north of Wytschaete.

I would guess that other batteries of 51 HAG were in roughly this area.

From here to the far end of Polygon Wood is less than 11,500 yards.

Well within range.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Many thanks Dai. Was "Don Don Farm" in that area, would you know?

Jon. Would you think the shells exploding in that clip are 4.5" or 9.22 shells?

Mike

51 HAG Diary 29/10/1917 Monday Little Kemmel (N.20.d.2.5.) 245 SB and 353 SB left this Group, and 405 SB and 259 SB joined this Group at noon today; these latter Batteries taking over the guns in situ of the former Batteries in the order given. The change is at present intended to be only temporary.

Attached 353 SB Diary 28 and 29 October, 1917.

Mike

temp Forum 353 SB Diary entry.PNG

The footage very much suggests that they're 9.2s......2 different cameras were used to film the clip I believe. There was a thread recently about this clip...I say recently it could be six months or so ago.....and Don Don Farm rings a bell

J