Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are these the same men?

RedCoat

Hi Everyone,

Further to my recent post on Gun Laying, I would like to hear your thoughts. Would you say the photos attached to this topic are the same men? There is a large group photo of the HMAS Sydney crew taken on the ship just after the action with SMS Emden. I would love to identify the man on the left in it - Gunner Hoar and think the man on the right is a good fit?

Interested to hear thoughts, Daniel.

71362901_ScreenShot2019-02-17at2_27_24pm.png.01b921736b5c8af9440aa1cbe6ba97d6.png1634345646_ScreenShot2019-02-17at2_27_37pm.png.1d498d608ad681b47cc3df25128732d6.png

Thanks Falloden -

The eyes, nose, mouth and ears + hairline are very similar along with the cheek lines. In the right hand photo his face looks a little thinner, I believe that is because he is turning away slightly exposing the cheek bone/jaw line. As the action had only just finished, I think the stress on his face is evident. 

Kind regards, Daniel.

Tried it with some face recognition software (MS Face API) it reckons they are the same person with an acceptable level of confidence.

Hi Tony,

Thanks very much for that -

Some interesting points to note in support of my theory -

1) HMAS Sydneys crew size was approx 375 men

2) There are approx 75 men shown in the full size image (and nobody else is as close a match)

3) All the men shown are likely to be made up of gun crews and men serving above deck during the action. It is unlikely that many of these men are from below decks given how soon this photo was taken after the action.

4) And now, that the photo has gone through facial recognition and returned positive results I am even more confident.

Plenty of reasons to be confident. I have marked him with a small cross in the full image.

Resized.jpg.34a76c88afe6b298cc80535cfe98c815.jpg

Kind regards, Daniel.