Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canada Steam Ships Limited

Drafter

Hello hope I have posted this in the right area. If not could it be placed in the right one. Thanks very much. I just wanted to ask if anyone here is know of Canada Steam Ships Limited. Had a great great uncle who worked for them before World War One. They trace their history back to 1845 their web address is www.csl.ca based in Montreal, Quebec. Contacted them about their employment history those records got donated to the maritime museum in Kingston, Ontario. Contacted them they have them the person that handles that their has not contacted me yet.

I do that the name of the ship he sailed on which is the S.S. Scandinavian. What I don't know with this name if this perticular ship is of Scandinavian origin like Norwegian, Swedish or Finnish. Or perhaps Canadian like maybe part of the Canada Steam Ships Fleet. Just wondering if anyone here might know this one.

What I was wondering is if they were involved in the war if so what kind of part did they have? On my uncle's attestation paper says that he was in active militia I know that it means army. Also said that he was a clerk on those papers. I don't know if he was a clerk in Hagley, Worcestershire, England this is where he was born or some other area in England. Or if he worked as a clerk for Canada Steam Ships Limited. Immigrated to Toronto, Ontario May 1902 with his family settled at Balmy, Beach. Was wondering if there were any steam ship ports around the great lakes or around Montreal, Quebec around the St. Lawrence River. Do know the name of the ship that he came on was the S.S. Ionian-Allen Line. Don't know if this was apart of Canada Steam Ships Limited. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Drafter

Drafter,

Sorry, this is a bit of a joke but I have to do this.

You should contact Canada's Prime Minister Paul Martin. Before he entered federal politics some years ago, he was Chairman and CEO of Canada Steamships Lines and he still holds a large interest in the company.

just write to:

The Right Honourable Paul Martin

c/o Office of the Prime Minister

80 Wellington Street

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 0A2

Perhaps by doing a little research for you he may actually accomplish something this year!

:D