Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Iron cross restoration

PrussianGarde

My only input regarding German militaria  is caveat emptor, buyer beware.

i bought an 

IC class 1 screw back in case from a dealer at a militaria fair. A few months later sold on the bay to an American bidder. This got returned with complaint that it was not original. On talking to other dealers a few months later, I was told " there are a few dealers who will sell you a fake, but won't buy one off of you". With WW2 especially, the value is in the paperwork not the metal.

yes, I still have the IC in my collection.

Ok. Your are right. It didn’t come with paperwork since this wasn’t an actual medal and it was probably just trench art or something but thank you very much for the advice, I appreciate it.

6 hours ago, chaz said:

My only input regarding German militaria  is caveat emptor, buyer beware.

i bought an 

IC class 1 screw back in case from a dealer at a militaria fair. A few months later sold on the bay to an American bidder. This got returned with complaint that it was not original. On talking to other dealers a few months later, I was told " there are a few dealers who will sell you a fake, but won't buy one off of you". With WW2 especially, the value is in the paperwork not the metal.

yes, I still have the IC in my collection.

I have always tended to avoid the German stuff purely because of the huge quantity of dubious stuff floating around in abundance. With both allied and axis, (especially the big ticket items) knowledge is the key, but we are all going to make the odd mistake as some of the copies are excellent.

Not just German stuff, a dealer contact took in a large collection of British cap badges, yet 75 percent were wrong.

Dave.

9 minutes ago, PrussianGarde said:

Ok, is this also the case with WW1 stuff?

I suppose most things militaria, from either conflict, would be vulnerable....you only have to look at the amount of ww1 tankers masks on eBay, some May be good, but an expensive mistake if not right....same with some bayonets.

Dave.

Ok, but in my case, I own a piece of trench art so it doesn’t have a certificate.

8 minutes ago, PrussianGarde said:

I own a piece of trench art 

Im sorry to be a bearer of bad news but its a Surfers cross, not trench art

Surferscross2.jpg

6390977C-5107-4689-9D26-72B9291C6ED3.png.891a8da3dabe8fac5a0e9876631922ea.png

That does make sense. Well, that sucks. The owner didn’t have a clue of anything about it so I can’t blame them. Well, it happens

That is exactly what I’m going to do. Then I will use that money to buy a real ic

I'm glad that mystery is solved. I would associate the piece more with the Hell's Angels than Jan and Dean!

Strange that they incorporated the WW1 symbols in the design.

Dave

Certainly nice to get it sorted out - I thought it was some kind of WW1 memorabilia with an added Christ-type figure on the back!