Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flanders Grid References

Blackblue

I wonder if anyone can give an explanation for variances in Trench Map references in Flanders? 

Obviously map to ground was a challenge then, but I have noted that there often seems to be references given in documents which are well to the west of the actual feature.

For example in the case of Tyne Cot Cemetery its reference is given as D.17.a.00.25 on Burial Returns, whereas the actual cemetery appears to be more like D.17.a.50.25. 

Any thoughts?

Tim D

Tyne Cot GR.jpg

D.17.jpg

If 250 yards can be considered accurate where there is a very obvious feature on the map? I’m wondering if there were different versions of maps used where the Grid Squares shifted? I’ve noticed similar with original burial Grids recorded vs ultimate recovery Grids.

TD

Edited by Blackblue

Tim,

The cemetery shown on the trench map at 28. D.17.a.50.25 is NOT the Tyne Cot Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery, but a pre-existing civilian cemetery to the east of the War Cemetery.

See ...

1059361709_TyneCot.jpg.088085e37c1b0c5efd3704d0264e3bf1.jpg.   

Trench Ref 28. D.17.a.00.25 lands you squarely in Tyne Cot where the cursor cross is visible in the right hand pane above. See here on the Muninn Project

HTH

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I was looking on Google Maps and it appeared to be same location.

So I take it the original civilian cemetery no longer exists? 

6 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Tim,

The cemetery shown on the trench map at 28. D.17.a.50.25 is NOT the Tyne Cot Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery, but a pre-existing civilian cemetery to the east of the War Cemetery.

See ...

1059361709_TyneCot.jpg.088085e37c1b0c5efd3704d0264e3bf1.jpg.   

Trench Ref 28. D.17.a.00.25 lands you squarely in Tyne Cot where the cursor cross is visible in the right hand pane above. See here on the Muninn Project

HTH

Mark

It is not a pre-existing civilian cemetery, but a German military cemetery.

Jan

Thanks Jan.  It now appears to be an empty, but well kept field used as a horse paddock.  See it on StreetView from 2009 here.

Presumably the German graves were concentrated elsewhere?

Mark

Yes, the German graves were exhumed and reburied in Menen. The history of the german cemetery at Keerselaarhoek will be mentioned in my next book about German cemeteries, planned to be published later this year.

Jan

See here for when I undertook to track down the origin of the trench map coordinates - there is detail on the original Belgian coordinates. It appears the question has been answered but you  might find this of interest:

GET SQUARED! USE A TRENCH MAP

• 1 year later...

Thanks Jan and Richard!

Edited by Blackblue