Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify uniform.

ryandunny

Hi all. I have this photo of some distant family members. Could anyone tell me who the man belongs too on the inset photo above the three Leicestershire Regiment men. Unfortunately this is the best photo I have. 

Henry - Sarah Ann Charles - Family (1) (002).jpg

He is a Royal Marine

Dave

• Admin

Royal Marine Light Infantry 

Michelle

thanks both ! I was thinking Royal Marines but couldn't find any records relating too him! 

good to know

Can you provide some details about him - name, dob etc?

unfortunately all I know is that he is one of the Charles Brothers. the 'Leicestershire Tiger' on the left is Walter Charles. that's the only one I know for certain. Hence why I didnt include names... I believe another tiger Is Lonzo Charles who sadly drowned while bathing in a canal and suffered cramp or heart failure according to the war diary.. the sons of Henry and Sarah Ann of Whetstone, Leicestershire..

the other men are possibly.. Reuben, Henry or Wilbard

I think I have a mistake in the name Wilbard, I've now found a Wilford Charles with the RMLI which I believe is him!

Thanks! Ive done just that since I realised the mistake in his name. I've also found Reuben serving with the KOYLI... There's no record of him serving with the Leicester's on the medal roll. But does the medal roll only include regiments after they had arrived at the theatre of war???

I've just had a look at the records of 31219 Charles Ernest Rollason and 31252 Benjamin Gilson of the KOYLI. Both were originally with the Leicestershire Regiment until transferred to the 1st Garrison Battalion of the KOYLI. Rollason transferred to the KOYLi on 26-5-1916. I presume the others including Gilson and your relative probably did as well.

Edit: And yes the roll only shows those Regiment/battalions that a soldier served overseas with.

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173