Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA K Anti Aircraft Battery

EmmEmm

Can anyone advise how I can find out about the above AA Battery? My grandfather was a L/Bdr in the Battery in April 1919 in Rouen. Both his Discharge Certificates (1919 and 1921) state that he had no medals, clasps, decorations or mentions in dispatches so it has been suggested that he most likely spent his War, since enlisting in County Durham at 18 in late 1915, in Blighty. His first Discharge Certificate states that he was first posted to the Royal Field Artillery. He re-enlisted in Rouen in 1919 and served until 1921 therefore I'm told that his records are unavailable. I'm a total novice in this type of research so any pointers would be gratefully received.

Edited by EmmEmm
missed area of enlistment

Welcome to the forum

A lot of papers where destroyed due to bombing etc in WW2

You could write to the MOD as they still hold papers for soldiers born before 1901 but who served after WW1

if you post his name it would help

Edited by Coldstreamer

if you post his name etc its amazing what people can find on here

For example on here might get you a snippet

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/royal-artillery-attestations-1883-1942

if you dont have access I can look for you

8 hours ago, EmmEmm said:

Both his Discharge Certificates (1919 and 1921) state that he had no medals, clasps, decorations or mentions in dispatches

This is not unusual as the main B & V medals were not distributed until 1921.

As Coldstreamer has indicated, he most likely was renumbered in August 1920 and appears in the Findmypast artillery attestations.

If you do not have access to this then by just providing his name and number(s) you will allow others to give you the information you seek.

Thanks guys, I was able to follow that link and his name (Michael Gaffney) did show up in a handwritten Attestation register where a France 1919 medal was mentioned. I am really interested in trying to find out what he got up to during his Service.

22 hours ago, EmmEmm said:

His first Discharge Certificate states that he was first posted to the Royal Field Artillery

Thanks for providing his name and the statement highlighted above. The Attestation register led me down the wrong path saying his RGA number was 196313 when, in fact, that was his RFA number. It indicates he was called up and joined No. 5 Reserve Brigade TF, Scotton Camp, Catterick on December 5 or 6, 1916. He is also listed in the Medal Rolls under 196313 and Royal Engineers 268538, which I believe means he went to France with 322nd Quarry Company RE on March 18, 1917. Curiously, his actual Medal Index Card gives 196314 as his RFA number which is incorrect. His proper RGA number, given in the Attestation register as 227912, indicates a late 1918 transfer. "K" Anti-Aircraft Battery RGA consisted, at that time, of the following Anti Aircraft Sections: 25, 49, 226 and 230.

A little more on Quarry Companies is found here - https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/quarry-companies-of-the-royal-engineers/

Edited by David Porter

Thank you so much for all of that information, I'm going to enjoy reading through it all. I really appreciate the help and advice you've all given me. This is such an interesting site with so much to learn!